1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RTM versions...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TRS-80 vet, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

Is W7 RTM 32-bit or 64-bit still effective to load? Will they activate the same way as a W7 retail version? I have both, and have not tried either. Will they run 'live' for testing? If not, will it install on a partition next to XP? Which is better for an AMD II x2 6400+?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

RTM=release to manufacturing and is usually the retail version.
    If you got these from a microsoft seminar or technet/MSDN subscription,
    they should activate fine.
    Sorry,windows disks don't run in live mode.
    You can run XP and windows 7 in a dual boot configuration.
    You would want XP installed first then windows 7 would setup a
    boot loader when installed.
    Both would run well on your processor but windows 7 would use
    a bit more memory.
    Better to have at least 2 GB memory for windows 7.
    Windows 7 has the dual core driver built in and is directx 10 ready.
    You need to download the dual core driver for xp,from AMD.

3. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

Good tip on XP AMD x2 driver - this is why I'm looking at W7 install... :mad:

Discs came from stepbrother almost 2 years ago - pretty high up in MS echelon (and he uses Ubuntu :))

4. valis

valis Moderator

You may want to check to see if they are still valid; I know my RTM version of W7 was decommed shortly after the 'true' retail version went out, and that was about 2 years ago.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could also install and run one in VirtualBox inside another Windows installation to see what they are like and how well they install (though the virtual hardware is not identical to the real hardware). Or Virtual PC. That would be the closest to running it "live", and does not require any partition changes.

You can also create your own live CD versions of any edition of Windows with Winbuilder.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You might also want to check the license agreement. The software I get from MSDN is licensed for use only by me... I am not allowed to give copies to my friends.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

There's possible problems installing W7 and any other system on the same drive.
    Removing one may be really difficult.

Like 4d .. My W7 from M$ was the RTM, licensed to me .. I'm thinking the other sources had a drop dead date.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, only the subscriber can use it. But it is the product key that needs to come from a current subscription. So a current mamber can get one and install the software if he chooses.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice