Ruby or Python which one is better?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

John95

I want to buy a book on programming, but I cant decide between learning Ruby or Python. Which one is better to learn first? Which one is easier for someone who does not program, but has a good concept of how it works?

Please Visual Basic & Java people, try to stay with the topic ;)

Ent

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Josiah
I'm a VB person. Let's talk about flower collecting! Seriously though, that was a very sensible last line. :)

You say that you don't do programming, but have a good concept of how it works. That, to me, suggests you're asking an impossible question. The two languages are built on different philosopies and appeal to different people. If you don't know what kind of things you're after in a language, you could debate for weeks without getting anywhere. For example Ruby attempts to give you many ways to do the same thing, whereas Python believes there should be one obvious way to do something (and make that way good!) In the same way if you care about "pure" object orientated programming Ruby might appeal, whereas if you're not that bothered you might go with Python.

Then again if you listen to this guy.
"Compared to other programming languages, Python and Ruby are so similar that hearing arguments between them is like trying to figure out which identical twin is more handsome."
And then get a pretty good rundown of the differences on the same page.

As near as I can tell, Ruby gives you more flexibility, but at the same time more power to break things that really shouldn't be broken. Python is a little more rigid, enforcing "proper" programming practices more carefully, and as a result equivalent code may be more reliable. If you want to have fun and make cool things, go for Ruby. If you want to learn programming properly (and possibly get into something nearer the edge once you have more experience) go for Python.

Disclaimer I've tried only a little Python coding and no Ruby (I came against the same question and decided I was in the careful camp), so all of this is from reading the web debates and documentation.

John95

Thanks for the reply!!

What I meant by "has a good concept of how it works" is the whole idea of programming, like how typing a line of code translates into a logic function etc.... But I should have defined that I was looking for learning general programming, nothing special but I could apply it to some kind of career in my future, or expand to more powerful languages.

It is VERY hard to pick between the two languages.... I might just have to flip a coin, and go with what I get.

John95

I'm a Linux person, so Python may be better to work with sense many programs are written in Python.

John95

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts