1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ruby or Python which one is better?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by John95, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John95

John95 Thread Starter

I want to buy a book on programming, but I cant decide between learning Ruby or Python. Which one is better to learn first? Which one is easier for someone who does not program, but has a good concept of how it works?

Please Visual Basic & Java people, try to stay with the topic ;)

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'm a VB person. Let's talk about flower collecting! Seriously though, that was a very sensible last line. :)

You say that you don't do programming, but have a good concept of how it works. That, to me, suggests you're asking an impossible question. The two languages are built on different philosopies and appeal to different people. If you don't know what kind of things you're after in a language, you could debate for weeks without getting anywhere. For example Ruby attempts to give you many ways to do the same thing, whereas Python believes there should be one obvious way to do something (and make that way good!) In the same way if you care about "pure" object orientated programming Ruby might appeal, whereas if you're not that bothered you might go with Python.

Then again if you listen to this guy.
    "Compared to other programming languages, Python and Ruby are so similar that hearing arguments between them is like trying to figure out which identical twin is more handsome."
    And then get a pretty good rundown of the differences on the same page.

As near as I can tell, Ruby gives you more flexibility, but at the same time more power to break things that really shouldn't be broken. Python is a little more rigid, enforcing "proper" programming practices more carefully, and as a result equivalent code may be more reliable. If you want to have fun and make cool things, go for Ruby. If you want to learn programming properly (and possibly get into something nearer the edge once you have more experience) go for Python.

Disclaimer I've tried only a little Python coding and no Ruby (I came against the same question and decided I was in the careful camp), so all of this is from reading the web debates and documentation.

3. John95

John95 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!!

What I meant by "has a good concept of how it works" is the whole idea of programming, like how typing a line of code translates into a logic function etc.... But I should have defined that I was looking for learning general programming, nothing special but I could apply it to some kind of career in my future, or expand to more powerful languages.

It is VERY hard to pick between the two languages.... I might just have to flip a coin, and go with what I get.

4. John95

John95 Thread Starter

I'm a Linux person, so Python may be better to work with sense many programs are written in Python.

5. sepala

sepala

I am a JAVA person.

What I believe is, starting anything is OK, if you have GOOD AND UNDERSTANDABLE RESOURCES. For python, the world's most understandable programming book creators, head first series has released a book, Have a look in here

http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfpython/

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  7. John95

John95 Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice