1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rule: Automatically delete message from an individual after a certain number of days.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JoeHart, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeHart

JoeHart Thread Starter

The title is pretty self explanatory. I would like to pic a person, subject or group I receive messages from regularly and perform an action on that individual after a certain number of days.

Actions:
    1) Archive file
    2) Delete
    3) Post in Individual folder.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. computerman29642

computerman29642

Joe, I am assuming that you are using Outlook?

3. JoeHart

JoeHart Thread Starter

Yes I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 sorry I did not add that information. I know how to make it do all of the actions immediately, but not after a week or month.

4. computerman29642

computerman29642

You could setup a folder ("Auto Delete"), place the e-mails in the folder, and have the "AutoArchive" delete the messages.

Right-click a folder -> Properties -> AutoArchive Tab -> Archive this folder using these settings -> Clean out items older than -> Permanently Delete old items.

You could use a Rule to move e-mails from certain people, subjects, or whatever to "Auto Delete" folder.

I am actually using Outlook 2007, but I believe the instructions above should be the same. Also, take note that have not tested the instructions above.

5. JoeHart

JoeHart Thread Starter

Not exactly what I was looking for. I figured out how to do that, but I have some individuals that send large amounts of data, everyday. I usually do not have to look at the data too closely and sometimes not at all, but I don't want it to be automatically deleted. If I do need the information I want it there. I also don't want it achieved, because I won't know I received a new message from that person. Can I set it to delete only from John Doe (not everyone will have this rule) after 2 days?

6. computerman29642

computerman29642

Is it always going to be the same people that the e-mails are deleted after 2 days?

7. JoeHart

JoeHart Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!