1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rules problem in Outlook 2003 on Vista

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tdrapp, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

Sorting incoming messages using rules in Outlook 2003 in Vista works fine during the initial incoming flow of messages when Outlook is launched. However, all subsequent incoming messages are ONLY dumped into the inbox or the junk folder. Is there a way to get incoming messages sorted by rules AFTER the first exchange?

2. computerman29642

computerman29642

You do have the rule set with the following: "Apply this rule after the message arrives"?

3. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

Yes, all rules include (actually begin with) "Apply this rule after the message arrives."

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi tdrapp

How many Rules do you have setup and enabled?

5. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

I have 25 rules. Only one with and alert and audio alarm associated with it. However, each rule may have several "from" addresses associated with it.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you click the Run Rules Now option, do all the rules fire as they should?

7. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

Sorry, I initially misunderstood the question. Yes, when I select a rule/rules and the basket to run it/them in, they properly sort the messages.

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Sorry for the delay.

Export the Rules.
    Tools > Rules and Alerts > E-Mail Rules tab > Options button > Export Rules button
    Your rules will be saved as an .rwz file.

Close Outlook.

Start > Run
    Key in:
    outlook /cleanrules
    Click: OK

Outlook will start and all the rules will have been removed.

Import the Rules back into Outlook,
    Tools > Rules and Alerts > E-Mail Rules tab > Options button > Import Rules button
    Browse to the location of the saved .rwz file and select it to start the Import.

Close and restart Outlook, test to verify if the rules are working correctly.

If the rules still fail to execute, create a new profile in Outlook and Import the saved rules into the new profile.
    How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003

Let us know what happens.

9. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

Sorry, neither the "export/import" nor the "new profile" had any impact on the problem of rules not working when Outlook is already open. Still no sorting of incoming messages.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also have another machine (running XP-Pro) that has the same problem, with the added issue of "sporadic" periods (one day out of 100) of actually working correctly...

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

You created a new profile with a new .pst file and Imported the rules into the new profile and the rules do not work in the new profile?

What size is the .rwz file?

11. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

It's difficult to fully exercise the rules, because it requires new messages to come in AFTER the initial launch. So I only get messages I create in other email accounts to send to a "ruled" address to exercise the rule sorting process.

To your latest first question: New profile, new .pst, imported rules -- same result as the old,old, and old -- no sorting after the initial launch process.

To your second latest question: 52,782 bytes

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Try unchecking some of your rules to see if other rules will fire as they are supposed to.

When was the last rule added? Did the problem start shortly after that?

13. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

Like I said before, it's tough to exercise the rules application to incoming mail, since there isn't a constant stream of mail from "selected" email sources. (I believe ALL of my rules are sorts based on the email sender and dropping them into an appropriate incoming folder.) That makes it very difficult to get timely results to your first suggestion. Historically, adding, modifying, or deleting a rule has not affected the issue one way or another.

Regarding when the problem first reared it's ugly head... That was probably a couple of years ago, on the machine I had before this one. I was not smart enough then to notice exactly when it began, nor did I associate any over action on my part that could have stimulated the problem.

I can say that neither this current machine or the other machine I mentioned previously has never successfully run rules automatically after the initial launch. Both were installed with Outlook 2003 from a legitimate Office 2003 program disk.

14. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Since it is difficult to exercise the rules, we won't call the previous attempts failures. :)

We need to make it easy to exercise a rule to see if Rules will work at all.
    Start Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to clear out the rules.

Then create one rule,
    Create a new folder in Outlook, for example: Practice
    For the condition of the rule, select: Where my name is in the To box
    For the action, select: Move it to the specified folder, select the Practice folder.
    Skip the exceptions to the rule and click Finish

Click Run Rules Now to verify the rule works. All messages should be moved out of the Inbox and into the Practice folder.

Create and send a message addressed to yourself and start testing, all incoming mail from that point on should be moved to the Practice folder.

Let us know if that rule works or not.

15. tdrapp

tdrapp Thread Starter

There was a flicker of hope, but then it died... Per the instructions, the first four emails I sent to myself (two from Outlook, two from online) worked just fine. They properly sorted into the "Practice" folder.

I left Outlook open for about an hour, but when I returned, one "spam-type" email addressed to me had been dumped into the Inbox. I created and sent another "test" email, then initiated a forced send and receive, only to have it also end up in the Inbox. I ran the "rule" against the contents of the inbox, and they properly jumped into the "Practice" folder...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice