1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rumor?? true??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by unstresst, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

..just tonite I heard part of a conversation.
    ..They mentioned an email virus that sends you mail attatchments from addresses that YOU yourself have ether viewed or sent mail to....in other words, it 'spoofs' addresses that you've viewed or sent mail to.
    ..Anybody know anything about this??
    .....Rumor?? true//false??
    What it's called or anything?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

unstresst
    There are many Worms that upon entry to one system retrieves the persons Address book information and sends itself to addresses listed. This increases the chances of speading since the receipent will think the E-mail is from you or from someone they know. That is why it is important to have an up-to-date virus scanner on board checking your E-Mail as it is being received and better yet going out to since it may be you who is infected.

Klez virus uses this method I believe but there are many others.

Dave

3. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

...The way those folks were talking, it sounded like: once the worm//virus enters your machine then sends something BACK to you as an email with attatchment--[using an address that you know//trust].......does that make any scense??

4. Gill

Gill

Hi unstresst,

that makes sense to me. Thats exactly what a worm virus does.
    Make sure you have you anti virus programme up-to-date.
    I had a nasty worm virus about 18 months aga ( worm_sir-cam) and because I didn't have my AV updated, the virus went on to infect people in my outlook express address book.

Gill

5. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

...Gotchya.....ok...thanx.

6. Miz

Miz

The Klez virus does what you're talking about. Once it infects a computer it starts mailing itself out to addresses in the infected machine's address book.

In addition, it uses a randomly selected address in the infected machine's address book to use in the "From" field. It will then look like the message came from another computer, thereby making it impossible to determine which system is actually infected so the owner can be warned and the virus cleaned out.

If the infected machine has some invalid addresses in its address book and the virus mails itself to one (or more) of those invalid addresses, the message will be bounced...and it will bounce back to the address in the "From" field, which is not the orginating, infected machine.

7. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

.....Ok I got it now......Thanx
    ..Ive run an on-line virus scan......THAT thing didn't find anything.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice