Rumors to temp disable Java, valid concern or hype?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mark J

I have seen a few warnings that a Java shortcoming is being exploited by hackers and therefore Java should be temorarily disabled by PC owners.

I thought that this was nothing but one of THOSE hysterical rumors being flung around the internet, until an access to FaceBook produced a message that a download of Java 7upd9 was needed (I already was utilising 7upd9).

I thought I'd go to my usual source of evaluation that current releases were in place on my PC, SECUNIA.COM, and the Java applet(s) for that scan process would not load.

I came here to see if more information was available and found no recent mention of Java in a topic search.

Any one in the know about this who can definitively explain and dispel my confusion? :confused:

Everything I've seen suggests that it's a serious issue; http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Java+0-day+impact+to+Java+6+(and+beyond?)/14917#comment and this;http://www.h-online.com/security/ne...erability-in-latest-Java-version-1781156.html

It's correct that this stuff is frequently exaggerated to the point of hysteria but, with a working exploit in circulation, it's best to err on the side of caution.I actually uninstalled Java some time ago and, apart from Secunia OSI not working, haven't had any problems.

I have long since un-installed Java. These Sun guys just can't program securely. They might learn a thing or two from Microsoft who has a secure development lifecycle thing and look at threat models. Or maybe from OpenBSD, who goes over and over their code to find security bugs. Or maybe from Google Chrome folks, who offer rewards to white hat hackers who report security bugs.

I'm not tech savvy - forewarning.
How would I disable java on a laptop running Vista?

Oracle, and Sun before them, seem to have been in a contest with the bad guys that they just can't win. I uninstalled Java after a new version that fixed an earlier 0 day exploit was found to be exploitable as well.

Unless they have a business requirement to use Java, most people would be well advised to uninstall it and see which, if any, programs stop working as a result.

To avoid any confusion, this does not apply to JavaScript which is different software that is not 'installed' in the usual way but forms part of your browser software (I think!). If JavaScript is disabled a lot of websites/pages will not display properly or at all.

No sense taking any chances, so have removed Java also. So far no problems except for Secunia OSI not working.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
For now, I've only disabled the plugins inside Firefox and IE. Some applications still require Java to function properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online