Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

run a program as admin under guest account

21K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Soundy 
#1 ·
I have a program on a computer that requires, right now, to be RunAs Administrator under the Guest Account .... this is a public computer at a campground and the Admin account is password protected. I have a small DVR program with cameras that runs on this computer and it needs to be run under the Admin account ... ie RunAs
is there anyway to start this program automatically ? The kids keep shutting the computer down and when it is powered back up of course the DVR program does not start

thanks
ed

#3 ·
Ok, maybe I said it wrong .... the RunAs is available and I have to use this since just clicking on the program Icon will provide a 'you need Admin to run'
My problem is I am not there when kids shut this off, etc and when they log in as Guest the DVR program does not start automatically ... I would like to be able to have it do that. I tired setting the security, etc on the program but this did not work

#4 ·
You can create a new user account with admin privileges & can then run the program.For this you have to boot in safe mode.

1) Login through admin in safe mode
2) Start > Run > type compmgmt.msc
3) Expand the Local Users & Groups tree on the left side
4) Right click on Users
5) Click on New User
6) Enter the details of the new user acount(We are creating a new user account)
7) Back to the main window & you should be able to see the new user that you created
8) Right Click on the user name > Properties
9) Click on Member Of tab,Click on Add tab in the bottom
10) Type the adminnistrators
11) Click Ok
12) This user a/c is now part of admin group.
13) You can also delete the previous admin account

#5 ·
Uh... that won't help, since the problem is that the system still needs to login to that account to run the program, but he wants the kids using the Guest account (presumably so they can't mess anything up).

So here's what you can do (sorry, don't have time at the moment to write down detailed instructions):

Set the Administrator account to login automatically, then add your program to the startup.
Find a script to force the computer to go to the Switch Users screen, and add that to the startup in the Administrator account (there are several out there, I'll track one down when I get home later if you need it).
When the computer starts up then, it should login as admin, launch your DVR program, and then lock itself and flip to the login screen.
From there, the kids should see the button for the Guest account, as well as for the Administrator account - they can click the Guest button to access their account, and the Administrator account will remain logged in in the background with your program running.

#6 ·
OK, sorry, guess I really am bad at explaining .... I do not want the Guest to have Admin access as these kids will wipe out most everything and create their own passwords etc. We run MS Sentry so that when the computer is rebooted it will lose all the stuff put in by the Guest account.
I just need this one program to startup and run when the user logs in as Guest and it requires Adminstration rites

#7 ·
I understand what you want to do... I'm just not aware of another way to do it under XP.

What my steps will do, is log in the administrator account, start your program, and then lock the desktop and go to the Switch Users login screen. The admin desktop would be visible for a very short period (a few seconds) during this process - enough time that someone really determined MIGHT be able to stop the startup process, but not enough that the kids would be able to stumble across anything.

You could make it a LITTLE more secure by creating a separate account with Power User privileges, then having that auto-login/start program/auto-lock - on the slight chance the kids were able to break into that process and access that user's desktop, they would still be limited as to how much they'd be able to do to the rest of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.