1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run ACAD From CD/RW?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Beano, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beano

Beano Thread Starter

Currently we work in AutoCAD2002 (LDD3) directly off a zip disk. We store our drawings on the zip and work directly off that drive. We work with drawing files that range from very small all the way up to 30-50 Mb in size. I understand a zip drive writes at around 50X. We have no trouble working directly off the zip.

We have been hesitant to switch over to saving our drawings to and working off cd/rw media. We do not want to work on the hard drive and then save the drawing on cd - we would prefer to work directly from the cd/rw drive and back up our files on a separate back up cd.

Our hesitation to switch over to cd/rw has primarily been our lack of knowledge as to the ability of working in CAD off a cd/rw - namely, is let's say a 52 write and 24 rewrite speed adequate to be able to handle working in a large drawing. We are afraid we will encounter problems while drafting and working with large image files.

Does anyone here work in CAD directly from a cd/rw drive and media, and if so, have you ever encountered any serious problems doing such?

Our computers are PIII 1 gig processors, 512MB RAM, 32MB Nvidia graphic cards if that matters.

Thanks for any help.

2. drdrew1469

drdrew1469

I have done this a few times and have not run into any major issues. The biggest thing you want to look out for is making sure that you have cd-rw formatable software, such as Nero's InCD or HP's DirectCD. The UDF format will apply to both but I found using Nero caused less problems going to a different machine. Formatting a 700mb cd will use around 106mb (I think) for the read/write to be enabled just like a zip. It is deffinitely faster running from the hard drive and then saving to cd, though.

Hope that helps,

Drew

3. Beano

Beano Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Drew...and I apologize for taking so long to respond. Things have been very busy here.

We are going to give it a shot and see if we can draft directly off the cd. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Jeff

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice