1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run as Administrator does nothing

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DBrown88, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBrown88

DBrown88 Thread Starter

I'm trying to run a software program for viewing a specific type of data from a research program. I'm running windows 10 and the software I'm trying to install (i think) is meant for Windows 8, but possibly Windows 10.

The instructions to install the software require that after unpacking the files I need to run the setup.exe file as an administrator. However, when I do this nothing happens, no program is loaded, no loading icon appears, the right-click menu just disappears and that's all that happens.

Can you please explain how I can get the "Run as Administrator" function to work properly? Once I can get that to work the software should install just fine, but for now I can't even get the computer to run open the setup.exe because of this issue.

Thanks!

Damon

P.S. Forums I've read say I need to enable UAC through the CMD but I'm not entirely sure what effects that will have on my computer and how to do that was poorly explained so I haven't tried that. If you think that would work could you please explain how to do it in a.. computer illiterate manner? Thanks!

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Right click on the setup.exe file. Left click "run as administrator". Another trick is to type cmd in the search box...Wait until the blue box opens up above that says "Command Prompt" Left click the box. click "OK" type in the command prompt box : net user administrator /active:yes (this will enable you to open an administator USER account which you can log into and then try running the .exe file (as administrator) just like I first stated.

3. kenbok51

kenbok51

Try again but this time right click properties of the exe file and select a Compatibility mode that's earlier than Win 10. You can try Win 8 and if that won't do it try Win7 compatibility. Once compatibility is set then go for your Run as Administrator. Actually what I have done in the past is to go thru the installer files copied to my hard drive in a temp folder I create for that purpose and set compatibility mode for all of the exe files in the installation list. Then if you get it installed set the actual start exe of the program to compatibility as well if necessary.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice