1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run as Admistrator

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chesjak, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chesjak

chesjak Thread Starter

Hi

After opening cmd I want to run sfc/scannow but it says I must me an administrator running a console session in order to run SFC.

I am logged on as administrator because I have checked that it says Administrator under my user name.

How can I overcome this??

Any help appeciated

2. valis

valis Moderator

start > run > type cmd and you will see the command prompt appear in the start column. Right click on it, select run as admin.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    goto
    Start>
    All programs>
    Accessories >
    command prompt>
    right click
    Run as administrator

4. valis

valis Moderator

jinx....buy me a coke. ;)

5. chesjak

chesjak Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    That was quick reply!!

That seems to have sorted it - many thanks.

I can't understand why, If I am already logged on as administrator that It did not recognise me.

Thank for your help

6. valis

valis Moderator

it does recognize you, but what you are trying to do requires an elevated prompt. Hence the 'run as admin'.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

When you are logged on as an Administrator you have control over users and their permissions, but for safety reasons control of the internals of Windows is limited.
    If you are familiar with Linux, Run AS Admin is similar to running as Root, which if you have any sense you don't do all the time.

8. chesjak

chesjak Thread Starter

I have just carried out a "sfc/scannow and navigated to the cbs.log but it denies me access.

I am logged on as administrator and have made sure that all permissions allow "full control"

Why am I still not able to read this .log file

9. DaveBurnett

I don't think you should need any special permissions to see the results of sfc, though you do need to actually run it from an elevated prompt.

10. chesjak

chesjak Thread Starter

Sorry Dave - could you just clarify what you mean by "run it from an elevated prompt"

11. valis

valis Moderator

same thing as before; right click, select run as admin.

12. chesjak

chesjak Thread Starter

I might be getting hung up hear but as soon as I click on cbs.log it takes me to the "wordpad window and a small box comes up telling me I do not have permission.

""right click, select run as admin"" At what stage?? I can't do that when I am on the cbs.log file.

I have already established that I am in Administrator.

From Elevated mode do you mean in the command prompt because I can't read it in that.

Sorry for the confusion

13. DaveBurnett

Now that you've told us what is says, that is a different problem and is not to do with administrator rights.

There has been a thread on this before, but I forget just what the answer was for now. I'll think about it, meanwhile hopefully someone else will remember.

14. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

right click log copy to desktop
    you will probably find it will open from there

you must send CBS.log to one of your own folders from where you can double click on it. It will then open with Notepad. Note: You cannot open it inside the CBS folder. You will get an Access denied message.

OR if you prefer the official Microsoft guide
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833#CBS log

15. chesjak

chesjak Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Thanks or being patient. I went into the Microsoft support site as suggested by Macboatmaster and did wat it suggested but when I typed in
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"and ran it, it came back with a message saying Findstr cannot open c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logWhat am I doing wrong if at all?I did try sending the cbs.log to my folder in c: where I keep all my personal files and double clicked on it. It did open Notepad but the same old message came up as well "Access Denied"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice