Run as?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kenzington

All of a sudden every time I try and open any kind of program windows brings up a dialogue box asking me which user I wan to use to run the program (I only have one user though) and I cant figure out where I turn this box off and it is really annoying.

Kenzington

Yeah I tried all the optoins I could think of in the control panel and nothing seems to turn this stupid thing off, it's really weird cause it seemed to enable itself.

Try this: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

Then create a new DWORD value named "HideRunAsVerb" without quotes, and assign it a value of 1.

Download this zip file and unzip it:
http://tinyurl.com/376gh

Double click XP_RunAsShortcutFix.exe to run the utility. This utility re-creates the MayChangeDefaultMenu subkey in:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\shellex

Kenzington

Yeah that didn't seem to help the problem, thanks for tryin though, I'm thinking about a reformat now to get rid of it :( ****** deal.

Kenzington

BTW rude I dont seem to have an explorer directory in the "polices" folder in my registry so not exxactly sure where i should put the DWORD in?

Kenzington

Thanks alot guys it was the .EXE associtation as said in the other post, everything seems to be going find

cheers guys

Glad to hear it. I would probably have opted for a reinstallation for myself by now, but I'm a lot more deliberate with other people's machines :D. This is one for the books.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online