1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run As

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maky, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maky

maky Thread Starter

Hi

My account has administrator privileges, and there's another account which is a limited-user.

I would like to make a shortcut to a program (Golfer.exe) in the the desktop of the limited-user a/c... so that when it runs, only that program runs under admin credentials.

I heard that this can be accomplished using "runas /savecred" in a batch file.

please tell me what the content of the batch file should be.

Here for example consider:

admin a/c name: maky
    password: fakepw

location of Golfer.exe is D:\Golfer\Golfer.exe

How do I make a shortcut to this file on the limited-user account's desktop, so that when I double-click on the shortcut, it automatically runs under admin credentials (without asking for admin password)

2. Dan O

Dan O

You should not use a batch file, which will have the ID and password shown. Instead you should create a shortcut, see the details below:

Use the Run As command with a shortcut
    1. Navigate to the shortcut item. Click Start, point to Programs, and then locate the shortcut item in the Programs menu.

If the shortcut is not located in the Programs folder of the Start menu, navigate to the proper location of the shortcut.
    2. Press SHIFT and hold while you right-click the shortcut item, and then click Run as.
    3. Perform one of the following steps, depending on which operating system you have:
    • Windows 2000: In Run As Other User, type the User name, Password, and Domain, and then click OK.
    • Windows XP: In Run As, click the the following user option, type or select the User name, type the Password, and then click OK.

3. maky

maky Thread Starter

I tried what you suggested, but I get the following error:
    [​IMG]

and another error which says:
    "Golfer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience."

"Debug" "Close"

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. maky

maky Thread Starter

I tried to use Steel Run-As and I got the same error.

Runasspc works fine, but its indirect (running the crypt file through runasspc which in turn runs the program), is there something else which is a little more direct?

I'm pretty sure that the program which I'm trying to run is compatible with XP. I'm still not sure why I get that C++ Runtime error.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you are getting runtime errors then I would think there is something else wrong with your computer.

You can create a Batch file to use Runasspc. Then all they have to do is launch the batch file.

There are plenty of other Runas programs out on the Interenet. I was just giving you a few free options.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice