Run command parameter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chaos_lord

I'm going directly to the example since it's easier to explain. In Windows XP Professional start>run and then type for example "ping 212.36.16.162" (without quotes). So the Run command starts the Command prompt shell, executes the Ping command and then immediately closes the Command prompt so I can't see the results. Is there any switch that I can add after the "ping 212.36.16.162" command so that the command prompt window remain open until I close it manually?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Why not type CMD at the RUN window, then you can go into a DOS box and run commands.

Chaos_lord

well, yes, but I always start typing the command automatically and in the moment I remember that I should've typed "cmd" to open then Command Prompt, i've already hit the Enter and... you know the rest.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
start > run > cmd /k ping 212.36.16.162

or

start > run > ping -t 212.36.16.162

Chaos_lord

But hese switches only refer to the ping command... I can't use them with other commands like tracert for example. I'm looking for something like the /page switch in the F-Prot DOS interface...

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
What do you mean it dont work with tracert. Substitute ping with tracert....works just fine.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
What does the -t option stand for?

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
open up a command prompt and type:

ping /?

There is help for just about every command you type at the command line. Even for CMD

cmd /?

cmd /k programname - is how you keep the window open.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Thanks

On my Win98 I need to use the command, rather than cmd, but it works well! :)

Chaos_lord

well... yes, it's just that you have to type again "cmd" and this is actually manual starting of the Comamnd Promt, but guess there is no other way?

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Originally posted by Chaos_lord:
well... yes, it's just that you have to type again "cmd" and this is actually manual starting of the Comamnd Promt, but guess there is no other way?
That would be correct.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online