1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run dll as an app

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jceac, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

Today I noticed I couldn't use my Fn+F6 hotkey to lock my computer. I've had this problem before when I disabled the Qlbctrl entry in my startup list which is HP Quick Launch Buttons. The difference this time is that it is enabled this time and the hotkey won't work still.

I tried to open the program from control panel and I got an error (see attachment).

I've been trying my hand at customizing my desktop for the first time the past couple of weeks and I'm scared I've messed it up instead.

I've scanned for viruses and spyware as well and AVG Free and Spybot come up with nothing.

PLEASE HELP!!!

PS I can also post a HIjackThis Log if that's necessary.

THANKS!!!

2. Rivera42

Rivera42

Where's the attachment?

3. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

oh oops there was a file size limit.

ok basically it says:

Run DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close.

4. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

anyone?

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > Copy and paste some of the recent errors[red]

6. jceac

jceac Thread Starter

ook update:

i went into sevices and enabled hpqwmiex, and guess what? it works again. i can open hp quick launch buttons from control panel and my fn+f6 works again. boy is this weird though because i disabled that service a looooong time ago and i've never had this problem before.

i found out because i tried to reinstall hp quick launch buttons from hp's support and drivers site, and when i did, it reenabled the hpqwmiex service.

i disable it, i get the error. i re-enable it, it works flawlessly.

so new question?
    why did this happen? why am i only now having problems with running (or rather, not running) hpqwmiex.

thanks for any help!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice