1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Run Once" programs every day on start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wildbill2u, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildbill2u

wildbill2u Thread Starter

I'm getting a message from one of my security apps every day when I start my computer. The message is about a program that has no identifiable company origination. My security program identifies it as a 'run once' program that usually indicates a download program.

The program that wants to 'run once' only shows a 10 digit ID number, and each day when I get the notice from my security application, the number starts with 142xxxxxxx.. I think the program may have something to do with Java update.

Has anyone else had some similar experience. Is the program some sort of virus? I don't get any virus indications from AVG

Thanks for any comment/help. You guys are the best. (y)

Wildbill2u.

Here is my system info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3562 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 460339 MB, Free - 387542 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, TKBSS
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Download SINO by Artellos.

• Save SINO to your desktop and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
    • Then please check the following checkboxes:
      Code:
      [b]Task List
      Startup Items[/b]

• Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.
    • A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply.
    Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.
    ======
    Download Security Check by screen317 from.
    http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/
    Or
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/dl/123/

Save it to your Desktop.
    Double click the install icon.
    If using Vista - Win 7 - right click the install icon and select "Run as Administrator"
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad.
    Copy and Paste the result of the scan in the reply box below.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That unidentified program with just numbers is from Adobe.
    It will take me awhile to track down the thread. This is WinPatrol reporting it, correct?

4. wildbill2u

Ploder:

The initial popup on this simply said there was a run once program wanting to run. I thought that was a Windows message.

Funny you should mention Winpatrol. I don't remember if they put up the original messages, but I went to their winpatrolplus website for more info and they didn't have anything on it for additional info as to where it came from or if it was safe.

Today one of my other programs (AVG) picked up on it with a lot of additional id material behind the 142XXXXXX. At the end of the indicators was something about Flash exe. AVG deleted it on my order. . Their message indicated it came from Flash exe.

I haven't done anything about following the info and instructions from the previous response re SINO.

Thanks to both you guys for the assist on this.

Cheers, wildbill2u

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry, I got sidetracked. Between the snow and having to take my husband to the hospital for scheduled surgery (in the snow) this thread got forgotten.

Have a read here
    http://www.winpatrol.com/adobe.html

Even though it says run once, every time Adobe checks for updates, you will get this Run Once popup starting with 14XXXXXXX.

6. wildbill2u

Thanks. I went to the Adobe website that deals with this issue of the daily "run once" file. . Apparently their only fix is to logoff and relog in. Or run this file manually every time.

I have another fix. How about I uninstall Adobe reader and/or use another default program? Since AVG picked up the file as part of flash exe if I uninstall Adobe will I lose whatever benefits flash gives me on websites? In other words is the flash part of Adobe an intergral part of the Adobe PDF program and one that I will lose if I don't stay with Adobe? Not sure if I'm making myself clear here?

Cheers, Wildbill

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I do not have Adobe Reader, I replaced it with Sumatra years ago.
    I do have Adobe flash installed, both the activex for IE and the plugin for non-IE browsers. I have WinPatrol Pro working in real time. I don't get this alert.

What you might be able to do, is look over AVG and add an exception. I had to do that in my av for something I knew was okay and did not want popups about it.

And another option, set flash to not check for updates. Ordinarily flash is patched on Patch Tuesday. This month was unusual with 2 extra flash patches on the 23rd and the 25th.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice