1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run PC Audio to Stereo System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SteveRomo, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveRomo

SteveRomo Thread Starter

I want to be able to play music from my PC and send it to my audio system to play throughout the house. I ran a cable from the computer's headphone output jack on the front of the PC to the audio system's RCA input jacks. It works OK but I have to boost the audio levels from the computer's audio slider way up in order for it to sound OK. The problem with this I have to plug in and unplug and adjust the levels every time (when the cable is connected, the PC speakers are muted.) Is there a way to adjust the PC's settings so that a cable connected to the headphone jack DOES NOT mute the speakers AND will play at a predetermined level regardless of where the audio slider is set? (i.e. a constant line-level output.) Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Not that I know

the RCA inputs are expecting a different type of signal
    The headphone output is very low output and headphones are quite high impedance

you can purchase a USB Audio adapter , which would enable you to do what you are after - its the sort of thing DJs use where the channels outputs can be individually controlled and levels set
    they are not expensive

3. SteveRomo

SteveRomo Thread Starter

Thanks. A few search attempts came up empty. Then I found one product - Beheringer UCA 202 - that seems to be what I need. Can anyone verify that item OR recommend a specific product / website / manufacturer for one? Also, can the audio level be set for a usb audio output that will NOT affect the audio levels going to my PC speakers? Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice