1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

run Photoshop on OS X using wineskin?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by coa, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coa

coa Thread Starter

How can i run Photoshop on OS X using wineskin?
    I used to have PS 7.0 on my windows XP, now i have CS4 on it.
    But the PS won't transfer from one type of computer to another,
    and i no longer have access to the original program CD.
    (I also heard that older programs/versions of PS cannot be used on newer systems, though i am not sure if this applies to alternative ways of installing the program...)
    Much appreciated, thanks!:)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    CS4 runs on XP or Vista and Not on later windows OS
    https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/system-requirements-cs4-point-products.html

to run on a different PC (Mac) you would need to purchase a new license - as far as i know you cannot use on more than the one PC you have a license for
    OR a two PCs - for your own USE and not used at the same time - ie a laptop and work PC
    the license is not transferable to a different platform - so from windows to a Mac

are these full retail genuine copies of PS

3. Headrush

Headrush

I didn't realize you didn't have your original PS 7.0.

Do you still have your valid license from that version?

4. coa

coa Thread Starter

hi again! :)
    thank you for your reply.
    The PS 7.0 died along with my very first computer, a Windows XP Compaq Presario desktop which i purchased new, way back in around 2009. PS 7.0 was installed by a friend from my art society as a gift when i first got the PC.
    And, when the PC died and i had to buy a new one, this time i decided to buy a used one,
    and i gave my old one to the guy i bought it from, including all the hardware and the hard drive too, because he said he would refurbish any parts, reformat the hard drive, and donate it all to schools in need. (I didn't understand the importance of saving my hard drive, my mouse, etc... alas, how i'd wished later i had! Oh well, live and learn, ay?)
    Anyway,
    So now i have just the CS4 on my current Windows Xp (sorry i said before it was 7.0-- i had temporarily forgotten).
    And as for the "valid license" for this CS4, yes i believe it is a valid license,
    but it is the 2nd installation of the two allowable installations for that license, given to me by another fellow artist from the society.
    (I may be able to get access to that CD, if needed, as i could contact him and ask if he still has the CD... —--though i never actually got ahold of it myself—
    i had simply dropped my laptop off for him to install the PS onto it for me.)
    Then he gave me the serial # (24 digits, which i still have a record of),
    and
    he told me to make sure i was offline when i typed in this # and my name/email.
    So when i first opened the program, it asked me for this info and i typed it in. But i never registered my installation with Adobe.

So, do you think there's still a way i can use wineskin to get PS onto my Mac?
    Thanks lots!

5. Headrush

Headrush

To install anything into a WineSkin wrapper you need to have the CD or the installer file.
    (There are other ways to transfer from an old PC, but that is harder and usually not straight forward.)

Photoshop CS 4 also doesn't run as well as Photoshop 7 in WineSkin and it looks like getting it to install takes a few steps which might be hard for someone new to Wineskin.

I'm not sure of the legality of your license.
    (Usually the 2 computers is for one person or home, aka a desktop and laptop for same person)

If you can get the installer or CD and you think your license will work we can give it a try.
    ( I can only help with the Wineskin installation, not bypassing license restrictions.)

6. coa

coa Thread Starter

Understood, and much appreciated!
    I will see if i can track down that old PS 7.0 CD.
    Otherwise, i'll just settle myself down for some good long learning sessions in Gimp! ;)
    Wishing you a wonderful day!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice