1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Run raid 0 on part of the hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the_man550, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_man550

the_man550 Thread Starter

'Ello,

I'm in the lookout for a cheap way to improve my HDD speeds until SSD prices drop. The hard drive I have is the death reputated Seagate barracuda 7200.11, 1tb. I want to buy a drive that's the same and I've found a cheap deal on it.

However; due to their reputation of dying, I'd like some reassurance that I can safely backup data without having to buy a third drive. When I thought of that, an old memory sprang to mind that one can run raid on just parts of the hard drive. That's saying that I run 500gb on one hard drive and 500 on the second in RAID 0. The rest of the space is available as a normal partition where I can store data of higher importance. Could it even be possible to run raid 0 on part of it and raid5 on the rest? Please note that my goal is to get programs to load faster (read), not necessarily the installation process etc (write). Of course, if I can get both improved read and write in a way where I still have a partition to securely save stuff that's even better.

I hope this makes any sense. To make it clear, these are the hard drive configurations I want to know whether they work;
    *Raid 0 on parts of two hard drives and having the rest of the space as normal partitions
    *Raid 0 on parts of two hard drives and having the rest in raid 5 mode
    *How will the speed be affected?

Still a bit vague, but any input you can provide will suffice

And, finally, do you think this is a good idea at all?
    The price I'm going to pay is negligible for me, around 40-50USD. If the price of the auction I'm following (ebay style) goes above that I won't really mind.

Thanks a lot for any help provided!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Your raid controller must be capable of running raid 0 + 5

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/multLevel05-c.html

Most consumer raid controllers do not have this ability.

More trouble and expense than it is worth.

requires more than 2 drives, and the controller is very expensive, this is enterprise stuff.

You can however do the Raid 0 plus storage, you just have to partition off what you want to use for Raid 0, then the rest can be used for storage.

3. the_man550

the_man550 Thread Starter

Thank you,

My motherboards integrated raid controller supports:
    RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 0+1, RAID5, JBOD

So that removes the possibility of RAID 0+5. Oh well, no biggie really. As long as I can have raid0 + storage I'm fine with it.

"More trouble and expense than it is worth."
    Well, depends on definition. I'm not a "performance junkie", most of what I do on my computer is to learn about it and get experience. I like fiddling with computers. The more problems the better. Nah, but you get the idea :)

And the money really isn't that bad. Up at 9USD+shipping atm, auction ending in 24 hours. I've secured so that no one can outbid me without spending at least 20USD so far. Just hoping it won't happen.

I have one final question; Do I have to/Should I (if so, why - remember, learning is key) reformat my hard drive before running a raid configurator (my motherboard included one with its software)?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

This is a side affect of using Windows ; -)

No, the raid utility will wipe the drives.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would really recommend using the money you would spend on another seagate and buy a modern WD black series drive. There is only a slight improvement in drive speed when using raid0 anyway. Use the one seagate you have now for backups, image files, etc. This is a LOT less problem prone than two problematic seagates in raid0.

The WD black series are quality drives and do not have the problem of a high percentage of failures.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

See my post here, I'd seriously consider the SSD drive if you really want to improve your speed. The drive I'm using is a Corsair Nova 128GB, and I got it for $329 from CompUSA mail-order. No reason to continue buying rotating memory if you're really looking for speed.

I had a pair of 10k WD Raptor drives as my boot drive in RAID-0 for a while, but this drive handily beats them in all areas of performance.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are going to use the Seagate for anything then make sure you update the firmware on the drive, with the firmware update the drives do not experience the common failure found with those drives.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice