1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

run two of the same program?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jtn3833, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

Is there a way to run two instances of the same program from one HD using my VAIO (3Ghz, WinXP)?

Thanks,
    JTN

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

HI,

What program do you want to run two copies of and why.

I have run 10 ( ten ) copies of Excel 2002 on a previous machine Piii 933Mhz 512 MB Ram. I was doing some major work tidying up a spreadsheet and was needing to move data from older monthly copies of a spreadsheet to one single new spreadsheet that covered a complete year.

Ceri

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Some programs permit multiple instances, some don't.
    And some programs have an option, in their properties, that allow you to have multiple instances or not.

So it really depends upon what program you are trying to do that with.

4. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

My neighbors house was broken into last week and they took all of his CD's, so I'm in the process of ripping all of my CD's to my computers HD so I'll have a digital backup in case something like that happens to me. I found the program Audiograbber that seems to work well, but I was hoping to utilize both of my DVDROMs at the same time and rip two CD's at once using the same program. It might just be easier to use two different programs though, I know rippers abound on the web, this one just works well.

Thanks,
    JTN

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

I seriouusy doubt you will be able to run both of your DVD writers (you said ROMs?) at the same time. And even if you could, I would wonder if you can trust the versions written when that sort of process can so easily be "hic-cupped" by other activities.

I am sure that writers are much better now, than they were just a few years ago, but years ago I remember when a person didn't dare do anything else on the computer when just writing a CD. I wonder if writing a DVD is any more intensive? (No experience there, myself.)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't see any issue in ripping using multiple CD drives. The only issue I see is getting them running. I'm sure that if you use two different programs, you will have no problems keeping up with two drives with any reasonably powerful machine.

7. opopanax

opopanax

CD ripping is tougher work for the processor than playing it. I dont recommend using multiple instances or even multiple programs cuz however fast the processor maybe the DVD drives r comparatively at a snail's pace.Try to go for a faster ripper instead. I use Musicmatch and I find it really quick with encoding. Even an old version wud do. go here: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=mmatch and get ver. 7.1.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice