1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

run32dll.exe Error in conjuction with Active Desktop and Random Games

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Swizzle, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swizzle

Swizzle Thread Starter

:eek:
    Okay this is how it goes, everytime I right-click (to change my display properties) I get an error as such: rundll32.exe generated some errors a log of this error has been made.

Now when I goto change my display via NVIDIA Settings everything works out fine, until I click the Background TAB. Which is the Default TAB that pops up first via Right Clicking on the Desktop and selecting Properties.

Okay that 1st part is done, here is the second part. When I try too run certain games ex:Commanche 4 it hangs for a bit and then the same error message pops up cept its with the file (c4.exe) <----the games main executable. Unreal Tournemant 2003 Doesn't even load, whereas I.G.I 2 Does along with State of Emergency.

Anyways I got a program that tracks errors (ErrorTracker, it came bundled as a part of SystemSuite Software)...so I load up the ErrorTracker and here is the error it Recorded:

Process Description: Run a DLL as an App

Process Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

Module Description: System Generated

Module Name: System Generated

Dialog Caption: System Generated

Dialog Text: The instruction at 0x70DCF39F tried to access memory at 0x00000000, the read failed.

My operating System is Windows 2000 (SP4)
    80 gig hard drive and 16gig hard drive
    128mb AGP Video Card (Nvidia Chipset)
    Intel Pentium 4 2.43 Gigahertz

Can ANYBODY help me remedy this situation, here is a list of things I've done/tried:

1. I restored the file (rundll32.exe) from my Windows 2000 Cd via the comand prompt with the expand command.

2. I scanned my whole puter for Viruses, Worms, Trojens and Spyware
    (Cleaned up the worms trojens and Spyware)

3. I scanned my registry and defraged aswell as removed invalid data, links etc etc etc.

4. Updated my video drivers

5. got the latest DirectX

6. Changed my Virtual Memory Back (Tuned it down to about a gig)

AND THUS To my AvaIL NOT one thing I did wurked If anyBODY can help me out with this it would be greatly Appreciated. I also know of doing a System Restore but I want to refrain from doing that for I got alot of crap on here and would rather Manually Go at this problem Full Throttle. Thx For taking your time to Read about my problem. :)

P.S. I also tried turning Active Desktop Off (Show Web Content) I unchecked that and I am able too right click on the desktop->properties, with no problems but even after that some games dont wanna Load, I would preferr to keep active desktop on aswell....Thx for your time! :)

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

Dialog Text: The instruction at 0x70DCF39F tried to access memory at 0x00000000, the read failed .. Did you recently change or add RAM or a new video card?

This usually ram related both video card ram and main ram.
    Try taking a peak into your BIOS and make sure the settings for AGP are set to match your video card and set your Ram speed to auto detect

Hope this will be a good start for ya
    Peter

3. Swizzle

Swizzle Thread Starter

It was an excellent start, I checked in my BIOS and the AGP Aperature size was set at 64MB, so I changed it to 128MB all in all that seemed to fix my problem with right clicking on Desktop ---> Properties (to change display settings). BUT it didn't fix the problem with some games. Commanche 4 is still acting up. One thing I think I should add is that I installed Win 2000 Server on my other hard drive and installed Commanche 4, it wurks there but not on my main drive hmmm....And I do know for a fact that Commanche 4 worked on my Win 2000 Pro in the past. I'm gonna try reinstalling it to see if that fixes it. If you or anyBodY has any other suggestions, it would greatly be appreciated. THx Again :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!