1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rundll error on boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pebbles1, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pebbles1

pebbles1 Thread Starter

I am running Windows7 64 bit and my computer has been running fine until about a week ago. I now get an odd message on boot up which I have reproduced below.

C:\PROGAM 1\COMMON 1\System\Menu.dll

Could some kind soul please advise me of the cause and the cure. Searching the net has led me to believe it could be a RUNDLL error but although several sites suggested software to fix it ,I have tried some and failed. Please HELP............Dave

2. Turn2

Turn2

This message is due to a startup item that points to a directory that no longer exists. You will need to delete the startup item/task that is causing the issue.

Easiest way to resolve this is to get a list of your startup items. Please download and run "autoruns".

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

1. The download is a .zip file. Extract the contents of the folder to a place on your computer that you can find.

2. Open the autoruns folder and run "autoruns".

3. Make sure the tab is set to "everything" ( it should be by default)

4. Search for "menu.dll"

5. It should show the startup item/task that is pointing to that directory. If you right click on the item you will have an option to "delete".

6. After you delete the item reboot your computer to test.

Let me know if those steps work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice