1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rundll32.exe - bad image? Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Farfen, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Farfen

Farfen Thread Starter

When right clicking my windows XP desktop and selecting properties I get the following error:

"Rundll32.exe - bad image" The application or DLL C:\windows\system32\themeui.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

Ok then.....what does it want from me?

This error began occcuring after installing new video drivers for my 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX video card. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and returning to an older set of drivers. No luck. While in safe mode I get the same error.

On a potentially related note, attempting to access system performance settings from system properties also gives the same error.

Otherwise everything else on my system appears to be working perfectly fine. :confused:

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

sounds like it is giving you a hint that something has corrupted the dll file. Have you tried extracting a copy from your installation disk?

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Have you installed any 3rd party themes ? If so try setting your computer to use the default xp theme and see how you go.

4. Farfen

Farfen Thread Starter

At the risk of appearing dumb....installation disk for windows xp? I have the original installation cd for windows xp that came with the pc, but how would I go about replacing that one specific file? Being ignorant as to any other method I explored the cd looking for that particular file but didn' see it....

Not using any 3rd party theme.

5. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

pop in your Windows XP CD, go to the I386 folder, hit the search button, and search for this:
    Then copy it to the desktop, replace the "_" with a "l" and move it into your "C:\windows\system32\" ditectory

6. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

It sounds like the Theme selector has gotten corrupted, so unless he had somthing along the lines of Style XP, I don't think he could change the theme

7. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

It is on the disk as themeui.dl_ - however, it appears that the XP svc pks have added an updated one: 375KB version 6.0.2800.1106. and it should be on your hard drive.

Do a search of your C drive and you should find two of the files: one in the Windows\System32 folder and a backup from the svc pk in Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. Rename the one in System32 folder to something like themeui.lld and copy and paste the clean one from the i386 folder over to the system32 folder.

See how that goes...

8. vampcatt

vampcatt

I was having the same exact problem.. and #5 post fixed it perfectly.. thanks!! :)

9. angini63

angini63

Hi ..I'm having a similar problem as the one posted but it's all confusing to me. I've notice that in my picture file i can see each folder containing pictures but when i open the folder...i do see that my pictures are there but cant see an image of each picture. when i right click and try opening it with shimgvw it gives me an error. rundll32.exe - bad image......DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll is not valid windows image. I was online with a download game when i had some problems...then this occured. would appreciate any help.........thanks

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

angini63, Please Start Your Own Thread !

11. angini63

angini63

devil_himself, if you know how i can post my own thread please do tell me cause i dont know where to do so or if not can you please help with my problem. you took the time to tell me to post my own thread, it would be nice if you had helped me also with the problem. tks

12. devil_himself

devil_himself

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!