1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Runner Error: BackWeb.dll: Error Code 126

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deleahrium, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deleahrium

deleahrium Thread Starter

I receive an error code every time I start up my computer: Could not load the target dll ("C:\ProgramFiles\BackWeb\BackWebClient\6.2.3.66\Program\BackWeb.dll", error code 126) However, this "BackWeb" directory does not exist on my computer.

I recently allowed someone access to my computer for a time and came home to it being full of popups/errors etc, so I did a thorough clean with AVG and TrendMicro, and now no longer receive any virus notifications in scans. Registry errors and spyware still come up though, which I am continuing to try to take care of with CCleaner, Ad-aware, and Spybot S&D.

Now, pretty much the only problem is that certain webpages simply will not load, while others will. I was told this was probably a corrupted .dll file, and considering the error message, it seems likely.

I have been told that reinstalling my OS is the best course of action, but I'd really like to avoid that if possible. I do want to get rid of anything malicious on my computer though. Thanks for any help!

My specs: Windows XP, HP Pavilion a384x

2. kniht

kniht

Go here and download Autoruns (freeware):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

No need to install just run the .exe.

In Autoruns go to 'Options' and check 'Hide Microsoft entries'.

Click on the 'Logon' tab and check for any item that has the address of the error message and uncheck it.

Also check the 'Boot Execute' tab.

3. deleahrium

No luck so far-- nothing looks anything remotely like the error message.

4. kniht

kniht

Click on the 'Everything' tab in Autoruns and check the 'Image Path' to see if anything points to C:\Program Files\BackWeb ------

5. deleahrium

nope, just a whole lot of system32 stuff and stuff I recognize for the most part.

6. kniht

kniht

Do you have any Kodak updating software installed on your system?

7. kniht

kniht

One more thing, I see you used Spybot to clean your system. Open Spybot and there should be a menu with 'Recovery' as an option, open it and see if BackWeb is listed. If so select it and select 'Recover'.

8. deleahrium

Not that I am aware of-- I don't even use any Kodak products, so if anything is on my system, I don't want it there anyway. Nothing shows up in add/remove programs, revo uninstaller, or explorer. Revo does come up with a whole bunch of totally randomly named programs to uninstall, not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

9. deleahrium

No Backweb in recovery.. also checked through the quarantined items in ad-aware and didn't see it, although it was messy in there, lol

10. kniht

kniht

Were AVG and Trend Micro online scans?

Could be a listing in AVG's quarantine.

11. deleahrium

I downloaded trial versions of avg & trend and then removed them once they stopped coming up with threats because they were taking up a lot of system resources and just slowing it down even more. But this issue did just come up after a virus or spyware scan, not sure which though.

12. kniht

kniht

Try doing a search for the following:

frext.dll
    clntutil.dll
    bwsec.dll
    bwfiles.dll
    bwtargetinf.dll

I have an HP and usually, but then mine is an older model, BackWeb Lite comes installed on the system.

Open regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes

Should be a ton of listings for BackWeb.

13. deleahrium

and i should be deleting the backweb listings there?

14. kniht

kniht

15. kniht

kniht

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice