1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Runnine Leopard on a Windows PVC

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by tejaslady, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tejaslady

tejaslady Thread Starter

I've been trying to find out if it is possible to run Leopard on a Windows PC. I have a Dell laptop and an HP laptop that could be used. The Dell has an AMD processor though so I don't that that would work, but I don't know. I'd like to try the OS but don't want to invest the money and find out it's not possible to use it.
    Does anyone know? I've even heard inklings that it's illegal to use OS-X on a PC. Is that right? If so, why?
    Cheri

2. Headrush

Headrush

Yes its illegal and you won't get any help/links/ etc from this forum.

If you want to try OS X your best bet is find an Apple Store near you and go in and play with it. It's a win-win situation since you can still run Windows on new Macs anyways.

3. tejaslady

tejaslady Thread Starter

Well, that answers my question then. Thanks.

4. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

Excuse me Headrush, but your statement is incorrect. I am unsure what mechanisms apple uses to authenticate that you are installing Leopard/Tiger on a mac, but as far as i know, there is none.
    To answer tejaslady's question, no, it is as far as i can see, impossible to install Mac OS X on a PC, you're best option if you want to use OS X is to back all your data up, buy a mac mini, and use boot camp to dual boot OS X and Windows. If you want, i can refer you to a very nice little external hard drive i have has very good experiences with for backup and data transfer purposes.
    Hope this helped
    chilkotardis

5. tejaslady

tejaslady Thread Starter

What I had planned on doing was running it in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 while I learn it and then, if I liked it, my next laptop purchase would be a Mac.......Cheri

6. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

Yeah, not happening, seriously. Parallels on Mac as well as VMWare will let you do it if you're already on a mac, but on windows their prohibited from doing it, or apple will keel them. Heh
    Anyway, i've been using leopard for a week and i really like it, there are still some bugs, so go to the Apple store and ask for a feature tour, and make your decision.

7. VegasACF

VegasACF

You're the one who is incorrect. The mechanism is called federal copyright law, 17 U.S.C. ยงยง 101, et seq.

It is a violation of the EULA that one agrees to when installing the OS to install it on anything other than an Apple-approved machine. Ergo, what is described above is illegal, and no help will be given in completing such a task.

I'd have to say it did quite the opposite.

8. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

Look, i didn't remember seeing a EULA when i installed Leopard a week ago, and at any rate, it's still impossible.
    I'd have to say you have a point, yet i'd prefer you didn't mock my trying to help someone.
    Chilkotardis

9. Headrush

Headrush

It's there you probably just clicked through it.

He wasn't mocking you, just correcting your statement. (not like how you jumped on my statement.) ;)

I never said it was impossible. I had a second PC system I ran OS X on fine, but in doing so I was breaking the law. I have since sold my system and bought a Mac. The question asked was "was it illegal" and the answer is yes, and in these forums discussion of such things is forbidden.

10. VegasACF

VegasACF

My response was not "mocking" in the slightest. Perhaps I didn't handle you with kid gloves, though. No offense intended. Generally, when someone doesn't know the answer to a question it is best not to respond. Such responses do little to educate, and, more often than not obfuscate. And that's no help at all to anyone.

What was asked is not in the slightest "impossible." It may not be easy. The results will likely prove lackluster. And it's definitely illegal (see the United States Code cited above). As such, no further discussion of the topic is warranted.

Sorry if you found my reply offensive. But misinformation is the enemy, and should be treated as such. ;)

11. dannyn

dannyn

it has been done! it can be done!

12. VegasACF

VegasACF

Yeah, we covered that over a week ago. It's still illegal.

Can a mod please close this thread?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!