1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

running 2 operating systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jsmason00, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

I have win 2000 & win xp. I partition/formatted the hard drives. I have done this before and when the computer starts it would always give me the option to pick which OS I wanted to use. We'll that luxury is no longer! Win2000 starts no matter what. I tried making a startup disk on a friends winxp system. It said it was a "ms-dos startup disk" and it didn't help at all. Any ideas?

2. Dan O

Dan O

You need to edit your Boot.ini and add XP.

e.g.,
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Boot.ini is a system, hidden, read-only file so you will have to change its attributes, edit it, and change them back to what they were.

3. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

Can't find boot.ini. I hit "show all files" in folder options and did a search "*.ini" and can't find it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to show system files to see BOOT.INI, trust me, it's in the root of C: :)

5. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

OKAY, I did that. When the computer boots it allows me to select, but when I select winxp it says:

Windows2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, now we need to know what drive and partition that the 2K and XP installation is on, so we know for sure what to put into BOOT.INI. :) Also, the startup files may be damaged on the XP startup, it's hard to say without knowing what the configuration is.

7. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

I appreciate your help, I will have to get that information at a later time. My laptop is gone for a few days getting a cdrw installed. I know what drive the OS's are on, but I am not exactly sure what information you need on the partition or where to find it. Also, where can I find the config info for XP's startup files?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!