1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running 32 Bit Games on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TigerKen, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TigerKen

TigerKen Thread Starter

I just upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Professional. I am unable to run some games that used to run on Win XP in virtual XP Mode. There seems to be a problem running a 32-bit program. Can I somehow run 32 bit programs in my setup?

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01

Hiya Ken and welcome to TSG.

I`m not totally sure as I`m on an XP system at the moment but isn`t there an option to run programs or applications in compatibility mode by right-clicking on the programs exe, clicking Properties and then choosing another version of MS`s OS such as XP, 98 etc.

Jenny

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Confused. First, Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't have Virtual XP Mode, only Professional and above do.

Second, Windows 64-bit, has no problem running 32-bit program. In fact, most of the programs run by 64-bit Windows are 32-bit programs. In fact, I'll bet the browser you are using now is 32-bit. (It does have problems running 16-bit programs, however. Many installers for 32-bit programs are 16-bit.)

What program are you having problems with? Maybe we can help from there.

4. golddust

golddust

Compatibility mode and XP mode are two different features. However, I even have some games that ran fine in XP and now do not run in 7 - even in compatibility mode. See if there are any patches available for your games. Go to the developers website and check for update patches for Windows 7.

5. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01

Thanks for the info Courtneyc & golddust. It`s a constant learning curve.

Jenny

6. TigerKen

TigerKen Thread Starter

Thanks, Courtneyc, JennyJackson01, Golddust. This is the first time posting and responding so I hope I am doing this right. I am running Windows 7 Pro in XP Mode. The games I am having troiuble with are Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade-Mis-Cheese-ivious (Win XP), Reader Rabbit Personalized Math Ages 6-9 and R/R Thinking Adventure. The first doesn't run. The others give a message: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Win your'e running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or x64(64bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher."

7. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Then most of these games you have listed are 16 bit games and they will not run on 64 bit machine.

There are a LOT of older programs including games that run on XP, a lot of them are 16 bit programs and the suppliers will not admit to it as they have a LARGE supply of them and want to get rid of them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024032