1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running 9800gt from 4pin->6pin adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the_man550, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_man550

the_man550 Thread Starter

Hi,

I just found an insane deal on a 8800gtx and a 9800gt. I already have a 8800gtx, which I want to run SLi with.

Problem is that my PSU, while being powerful enough, doesn't have PCI-e connectors enough. It only has four, while I need 2x2 for the GTX's and 1 for the GT.

Now, I've found adapters which transform a 4pin molex a la [​IMG]
    into a 6pin which could be used to a graphics card.

The question I have; would that be enough to power a 9800gt stable? The PSU is high-quality 400USD stuff, so no worries there.

EDIT: The adapter in question takes two 4pin connectors and turn into one 6pin PCI-e

Thank you,
    Jacob

2. lilb

lilb

Hi,
    I tried running my gts 250 with a 2x 4 pin to a 6 pin and it didn't work. But i think the 9800gt uses less power, so it might work, also where you planning on running 2x 8800gtx and 9800gt for physx?
    Also how much money would you have to spend for 1x 8800gtx and one 9800gt?
    And what is your psu's exact specs? ie wattage, amps on the +12v rail(s) and who makes your psu?

3. lilb

lilb

4. the_man550

Sorry for the delay, I was captured by an evil neighbor.

Yes, I intend to run the GTX's in SLi and the GT for physX.
    The second GTX and the GT will in total, including shipping, cost me about 30 bucks. Yep, 30. Quite the steal if you ask me.

But nope, that isn't my power supply. Most specifications are available in the pictures on this site:
    http://www.elitebast ards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=431&Itemid=27&limitstart=1
    It was said to be one of the top PSU's when I bought it anyway. Suppose it's more like an average these days though...
    The wattage is no problem at all, my calculations have come out at about 7-800W requirement with the full setup. Some people have even ran this PSU at 1400W, so shouldn't be no problem.

Are those amps good? To be honest I know quite a little about it.
    Nvidia states the GTS 250 to require 150W at maximum load, while the 9800GT requires 105W at max load.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

EDIT: Just got a bad feeling. Does the 9800gt require two 6pin connectors? That feels odd. Either way, does it need that? It's the most simple 9800gt I think, here's a picture:
    http://images.tradera.com/541/100715541_2.jpg

5. lilb

lilb

no a 9800gt doesn't need 2 x 6 pins, i have a 8800gt that has 2 inputs for 6 pins but it works with one. They put a second one for overvolting/overclocking. Because as you said max power is 105w for the 9800gt so 75 from the pcie and one 6 pin which gives it an extra 75. so 75 + 75 = 150w so more than what it needs.
    Your power supply could easily power the three graphics cards the only problem may be your pluggs. But for 30 bucks it wouldn't matter if you couldn't run the 9800gt because one 8800gtx is usually over 160 bucks. By the way where are you planning on buying those graphics cards? because 30 bucks seems way to good to be true.
    Also do you have a sli bridge? to bridge the 8800gtx's?

6. lilb

lilb

Also the your power supplies amperage is really high, around 100, running one 8800gtx (including a system that matches up to it) takes around 36-40amps. depending on your system and what manufacturer the graphics card is. by the way if you buy an overclocked 8800gtx and a non overclocked 8800gtx and sli them, the overclocked one will clock down to match the other one. But it shouldn't matter.

7. the_man550

Ah, great. My 8800gtx is the same, specced to work with one 6pin but requires two for best performance.

I figured the same with if it doesn't work, that money is nothing for even one of these cards. My quick count was a bit off though, the final price should be ~320SEK/44USD. Still an awesome price.
    The guy has thrown out a bunch of cheap hardware for people to bid at. I'm guessing an evil wife or simply need of space. Plus, he's stated that they've not been tested for a while. I'm not too concerned though, he shows them packed in great anti-static packages which makes me confident enough to buy them.

I have both a two-sli and a tri-sli bridge, so that's fine. I hope I'll be able to fit it above the 9800gt? Cause I assume it'll have to be set up a la (from top); GTX, GT, GTX, seeing how the SLi bridge is designed. Don't know what to do with my 8800gt now. Won't fit ;P
    I'll have hell to fit all of those cards and my sound card anyway... just pray to god it works. Looks like it should work though. I'll try right away actually.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

I'll mark it as solved tonight, might come up a few questions while I work with it...

8. lilb

lilb

Did it work? did it? tell me!tell me!
    Like seriously i really wanna know.
    And if you get it running if possible could you post a picture of the three cards in your computer? that would be cool to see.
    And if the 9800gt doesn't work what manufacturer is it? (i might wanna buy it off you)

9. the_man550

You'll have to wait about a week I'm sorry to say. It will take some time to finish the deal. The purchase will be finished the 19th at latest, and then add 2-3 days to ship things.

Regarding space, yep it worked. Had to do some surgery but I can now fit my single 8800gtx in all of the slots without clearance problems. There's no problem to fit them beside each other either.

Oh. I just realized my last post seemed to tell that I already received the cards; that's however not the thing, as stated above.

I'll make sure to tell you as soon as it's done!

10. lilb

lilb

oh i see, Well good that you have enough room for the cards, When you recieve them run you should run them each seperately (one at a time) to test if they work properly. Like i mean just put one card in, boot your computer maybe run a game, then turn off your computer and test the other card. Then when your sure they both work you can put them in and if your setup doesn't work you'll know its not the cards. But if running all 3 doesn't work try running just the 9800gt off of the 2x4pin = 6 pin adapter and see if the card can boot your operating system. (to make sure its getting enough power)

Anyway best of luck hope it works!

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

One problem you may encounter will be rail power distribution. If you look at the sticker posted at the site you linked to it would initially appear that you have 128 amps available on the +12v rails. Actually you have 80 amps (max combined) available on the +12v rails which is a decrease of 37.5%. IF the reduction is equal on all the +12v rails you would have the following.

+12v1 = 11.25A
    +12v2 = 11.25A
    +12v3 = 17.5A
    +12v4 = 17.5A
    +12v5 = 11.25A
    +12v6 = 11.25A

Have you figured out how much total amperage you are going to need for two 8800GTX's + a 9800GT + your other +12v components without "stressing" the power supply?

12. the_man550

@lilb; I'll make sure to try any configuration

@win2kpro;
    That was new. How does one know that the 'max combined' amp is 80?

I actually have no idea how much it could require. Other 12v components are fans and stuff right? 4pin molex stuff? I have quite a few fans running from molex, 7 or something, but I don't think they require that much? Apart from that just a LED star that I got cheap to cover one of my uglier fans...

I googled '8800gtx amp requirement' and the result I had was that a single requires about 16 amp and SLi about 24 I think. Jesus my memory is bad, read it two minutes ago... something like that anyway. 24+ say 14 for the 98gt (requires less than the gtx)=38amp, leaving 80-38=42 amps left. Could I possibly use that much with my fans?

Thank you

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

One knows that the max combined amps on the +12v rails is by looking at the power supply decal. The decal indicates the max combined output on the +12v rails is 960 watts. 960 watts รท 12V = 80 A.

For performance and longevity you shouldn't exceed 80% of the max output. With six +12v rails I'm just not sure of how the rail distribution is handled. You may have to do some expeimenting with the various auxiliary PCIe leads or adapters to find out which ones are sufficient for your power requirements.

14. lilb

lilb

I don't think that with your system, that your power supply would have any trouble running the cards aslong as you can get the pins together, because you can run an intel core 2 extreme qx9770 and sli 2 8800 ultras easily with this power supply(got information from a review of the psu) , the only problem could be getting together all the pins that are required, for the 3 gpus, and for the price your paying for the gpus if it doesn't work you can easily run the 2 8800gtxs, and 44USD for a 8800gtx is still an insane deal.

15. the_man550

Just checking in to say that I did win the auction. Some guy came and pushed the price up to 85USD, still not a bad price. Remember that this is Sweden and that everything's more expensive here. When that card was new it was around 760US (I paid 790 for mine), and that's just one of the cards. 98gt's are around 200USD at the moment.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice