1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

running balance in excel 07

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dak401, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dak401

dak401 Thread Starter

Hello,
    ok here is my problem. i'm trying to set up a simple ledger with a running balance and i have got to the running balance and all totals are working but the problem is the in the balance column it has the balance in all the cells. what i'm looking for is to not have the balance in the balance column untill there is and entry in either the credit or the debit column. i'll attach it so that maybe it will be a little more self explaining. i have played around with the "IF" funtion but i'm not real familure with excel and still really learning it.

Thx for any help :)

Attached Files:

2. floydcojacket

floydcojacket

I am by no means an authority of MS Excel, but I did have a similar question as yours some time back and one of the folks at this site helped me with this answer. Hopefully it will help with your situation.
    Enter in Balance cell E4 the formula below, click and drag on down.
    =if(and(isblank(c4),isblank(d4)),"",e3+c4-d4)

3. dak401

dak401 Thread Starter

Thank you that did solve my problem and all is working good :)

4. floydcojacket

floydcojacket

Wonderful, have a great & blessed day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!