1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running chkdsk on a disk that i cannot initialize

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mariner101, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariner101

mariner101 Thread Starter

Hi-I have an HP desktop running Windows 7. I found an old Maxtor 120 GB hard drive I had laying around and wanted to use it for general storage. There were two partitions on the disk, but since there was some financial data on it i decided i wanted to wipe it before using it to store music and video. I attached the disk, then copied off the data i wanted to another disk. My plan was to delete the partitions on the disk, reformat, run BCwipe to wipe all the free space on the disk, then create one big partition. However, after deleting both partitions I am no longer able to initialize the disk. Bear in mind it seemed to be working fine before I deleted the partitions-i was able to copy off the data and verify it with no problem. No other changes were made. Now in disk management the disk shows as "Disk 1-Unknown-114.50 GB-Not Initialized". When I try to initialize the disk it shows as offline and the "initialize disk" option in grayed out. When I click on the "Offline" option I get the following error: "Virtual Disk Manager - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." I cannot name the volume, therefore I cannot find a way to run chkdsk on the drive. Can anyone suggest a way to do so this so I can get this drive working again?

Thanks.

2. ajkane

ajkane

Try downloading acronis disk director, I use it to manage my drives, it can preform functions windows can't.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice