1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running CPU intensive applications stops internet connection communicating

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sharker, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

When I run an application that uses a lot of CPU, for some reason my internet connection stops working. I don't get any error messages, the browser opens OK but I can't access any pages most of the time. I have a duel core processor so when I'm running something it only takes up 50% CPU and my computer works fine without showing much strain.

This seems to be a general problem with CPU intensive programs although am particularly interested in running my own FORTRAN 95 programs. They have little disk usage, just mainly number crunching.

Any idea how to fix this?

I have:
    Win XP Pro SP2
    Dial up connection
    Intel D805 Duel Core 2.6GHz 2*1MB cache
    512 MB

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Sharker,

On a dual-core processor, i.e. with two real cores I presume and not just hyperthreading of one processor (like mine), you should be able to have load balancing activated.

If you isolate one of your cores for browser/Internet and the other for your Fortran programs - that sounds about like you should have it.

Look around for dual-core configuration settings or any methods that help to configure load-balancing to favor your applications the way you want it.

Also, run a performance monitor when the condition you are having problems with occurs to observe that possibly you are observing competition on only one core while the other is idle. Speculation on my part without any facts.

-- Tom

3. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi Tom

Thank you for your ideas.

However I now have some more information to throw into the soup of confusion. When my Fortran program is running the browser doesn't seem to be effected, it responds fine. I think it must be a problem to do with whatever looks after the internet connection.

I have also noticed that if I use the task manager and look on the performance tab, the Fortran program seems to be taking up about 50% of each CPU.

The problem seems to start when the Fortran program is running and I try to access the net at the same time. If I access the net before and after the program ran, but stay connected the whole time, it's fine. However when the problem starts the problem remains even after the program has finished running??? I have to hangup and redial to fix it.

Can this be a load-balancing issue? Any ideas on how to fix this would be gratefully appreciated.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Sharker,

From what you say, this sounds like what you have to do is confine the Fortran program to one of the cores (i.e. processor cores) and not allow it to execute on the other which is having the effect you see on web browsing. Visa versa for the web browser!

The way to do this is to set the Affinity attribute for the Fortran executable which I think can be set by right-clicking on the executable if I am not mistaken. Just keep the web browser and Fortran executables separate by setting the Affinity to one processor for each (i.e. different processor cores) and it should clear up your problem - i.e. do it for both executables on different cores!

-- Tom

5. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi Tom.

I tried what you said: setting the affinity using the task manager. I also tried separately reducing the priority in the task manager. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem.

I think your idea is a good one though but it is the process that governs the internet connection that has the problem rather than the browser. So it is that process that should have the affinity changed. Have you any idea which process that might be?

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Sharker,

Yes, that sounds about right, i.e. set the Affinity (using Task Manager) for your dialup connection software from your ISP and the web browser to the same core processor.

For example, I have EarthLink as my dialup ISP, so the TaskPanl.exe process would be that process for me in addition to the Firefox.exe process.

Try downloading Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com and run it if you do not know which process(es) (in the Task Manager) is from your ISP.

-- Tom

7. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi Tom

Thanks for your continuing advice.

I wasn't sure which of the processes to set the affinity of, so I just went through all of them. I set everything that could be set to CPU 0. With the exception of my program that I set to CPU 1. But... it still didn't fix the problem!

I also updated the modem driver and tried setting the affinity again. Still nothing.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!