1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running Dual Monitor Setup off Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nabooru, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nabooru

Nabooru Thread Starter

Hey guys.

My goal is to run two monitors (Dell 1909W's - specs here) off my laptop (Sony VPCSC1AFM running Windows 7 Home - specs here) along with an external keyboard and mouse. I want to disable the laptop screen and keep the screen closed and only use the external monitors. The laptop is running off AMD Radeon HD 6470M graphics - specs here.

The laptop has a VGA and HDMI port; right now I have a VGA cable connecting to one monitor and an HDMI to DVI-D cable connecting to the other. The problem is that while both monitors work, I can't get them to run at at the same time. I can make one of the 1909W's my primary monitor, but can only extend it to my laptop screen, not to the second 1909W (even if I disable the laptop monitor).

Is there an issue here I'm not aware of and/or is there a way to fix this? Thanks for your help; and please let me know if I need to provide any more information.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    I think you need a docking station to run dual monitors. You can then boot the laptop with the top shut, which disables the laptop LCD screen, and you should then be able to extend the desktop onto the second monitor.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It could be that there is a single output that goes in common to HDMI and VGA so that only one can be used at a time. A splitter would allow you to use 2 monitors, but they would need to both have the same display and one would not be an extension of the other.

You are basically trying to do something that desktops are used to do. Laptops are portable.

4. Nabooru

Nabooru Thread Starter

Would perhaps using a USB to VGA cable in place of one of the connections I mentioned earlier work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice