Running Dual Processors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wet Chicken

I've got an older PII motherboard that is dual processor capable. I wanted to get a second CPU for it. I can't find any information about the guidelines on how to do this anywhere in the owners manual :( Do both CPU's have to be the same speed? I'm guessing yes but before I buy anything I wanted to double check ;)

Also, with two 350 MHz CPU's running together would that make it 700MHz, or is it application Dependant?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, 350+350 does not equal 700 MHz. It will still be 350 MHz. But with dual processors, you will have twice the processing power due to task sharing between the processors. It will behave in many ways like a 700 MHz, but its actual performance depends on many other factors, like bus speeds.

MHz is not really a very good measure of CPU performance. FLOPS (Floating-Point Operations per Second) is better, and there are many others. But consumers seem stuck on MHz., so that is what the advertizing pushes. Two processors means, generally, with the other specs of the machine taken into account, twice the FLOPS.

Take a look in your BIOS setup to see what it may say about dual processors. It may give you some hints. And check the manufacturer's site for any BIOS updates or changes that may be needed to run 2 processors.

Wet Chicken

Elvandil said:
Take a look in your BIOS setup to see what it may say about dual processors. It may give you some hints. And check the manufacturer's site for any BIOS updates or changes that may be needed to run 2 processors.
I checked the manuafactures web site, but they have deleted everything that they used to have about it. I also looked in the BIOS manual, but so far I see no mention of dual anything :(

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If the manual doesn't mention it, how do you know the board is dual? Say for example, I have an older board that will take either a P3 or socket 370 chip, obviously not both at the same time.

Wet Chicken

AcaCandy said:
If the manual doesn't mention it, how do you know the board is dual?
The board we have has two CPU sockets. When we first set it up (as one CPU) we had to insert a special card into the second CPU slot so the board could work ;)

CPU's for this board now cost only $2.99 (that's not a misprint... that's two dollars and 99 cents). Time to take advantage of that :D

I just want to make sure that I order the right CPU ;)

Wet Chicken

You should be able to run two CPU's then. The thing that's got me confused is that there is a way with jumpers to set the clock speed of the first CPU, but I see nothing for the second CPU :confused:

And nothing in the BIOS (so far) that distinguishes between one or two CPU's. Maybe I just didn't see it. Eyes don't work so well at 4 in the morning :D

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
My motherboard manual clearly states:

You can install a Slot-1 processor OR a PPGA Celeron. You cannot install a PPGA and a Slot-1 processor together.

Take care that you do not try to install a Socket-7 processor into the Socket-370. A socket-7 procesor such as the Pentium-MMX or the AMD K5/K6 does not fit in the socket 370.

DUH, so if it won't fit, then HOW COULD you install it :D Love idiot control :D

If the 2 processors are identical, there would only be need for one setting for clock speed. Probably for both.
so if it won't fit, then HOW COULD you install it
Ever hear of a hammer?

Wet Chicken

Wow what a coincidence. After waiting for over a month the manufacture finally answered my e-mail regarding this question :eek:

Here is what they said:

Both CPUs have to be identical. They can't be different. There are no jumpers on system if you want to put the second processor. The controller will take care of it automatically. Different speed of CPUs is not supported. They have to be of the same speed,family,cache,stepping etc.
OK I'm off to spend my $2.99 on my processor :p

Wonder if they have free shipping :D

Wet Chicken

AcaCandy said:
Take care that you do not try to install a Socket-7 processor into the Socket-370. A socket-7 procesor such as the Pentium-MMX or the AMD K5/K6 does not fit in the socket 370.

Don't all Pentium II 300 - 350 MHz processors have the same socket?

I better double check what socket I have....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online