1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Running ethernet cable in my house

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ODucks, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ODucks

ODucks Thread Starter

I am moving my networking equipment to another room in the house. That room was wired for nothing. I had the cable company come out and run cable to the new room. In the old room I also had cable with a modem/router combo. From the router I ran an ethernet cable to the downstairs through various crawl spaces to my wives work computer. The cable ran to a hub/switch and then to her computer. The ethernet cable I ran was one piece. In the new room I needed to have the same setup but the ethernet cable running to the old room was not long enough to reach the new room. So I bought more cable and added to the existing cable using a female to female coupler. I can not get it to work. Is the coupler a bad idea? Is the length of cable an issue? I could not get any signal at all at first. I bought 100 feet of cable and added it to I am guessing 75 feet of cable. Once I got it hooked up with roughly 175 feet of cable and had zero signal I cut the 100 foot piece down as I didn't need that much. I would roughly guess I now have 125-150 feet of cable with the coupler. I saw signs of a signal but can not get it to stay on for any length of time. I would also add this is my first time crimping ends on ethernet cable but I feel pretty confident that is not the issue. Once I saw things not working I did the ends all again.

Any thoughts out there on what I need to do? I appreciate any ideas offered. Need to get the wives computer back online before Monday or she will kill me! haha

Thanks,
    Rich

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. ODucks

ODucks Thread Starter

I actually have one but the instructions that came with it are horrible. Really not sure how to use it. Does the line need to be hooked to an internet source when testing? I assume if all the lights light up the cable is good?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You plug the remote into one end of the cable and the master to the other. These testers only test for wiring correctness and continuity (meaning the wire actually conducts electricity). The tester does not actually test to see if the cable is properly carrying data.

You'll need something like this if you want to actually test the quality of the cable in transmitting data:

https://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/Versiv/dsx-cableanalyzer-series

5. ODucks

ODucks Thread Starter

OK I am a slow learner so I hooked the remote portion of the tester to one end and took the master to the other end. The master end has all the lights working. On the remote end the #1 does not light up. Does that mean that the number one (orange stripe) is not making contact?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  6. ODucks

ODucks Thread Starter

So after trouble shooting for a day and a half it turned out to be the coupler! Some of the prongs were bent down not allowing contact to the jacks. A little bending and it was good as new! Unbelievable, but I learned a lot. I figured out the tester, and I am a master crimper lol! And I joined this fine forum. Thanks for the help

Rich

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice