1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running macro automatically on document open (Word 2007)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by :z:, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. :z:

:z: Thread Starter

I am trying to get Word 2007 to hide my unused status bar, but unfortunately there does not seem to be an interface toggle for this in the 2007 version. I then tried to copy and paste a macro for this, which worked, but only when I manually ran it each time I opened a document. Is there a way I can set it to run automatically alongside another macro I have running when a document opens?

I know nothing about macro language...I just copied and pasted the code. So being as descriptive as possible with your solution would help me.

Thanks!

Here's the code (which currently works) for automatically adjusting the zoom on my documents:

Public Sub AutoOpen()
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
    End Sub

Here's the code for hiding the status bar that I want to also run automatically whenever I open a document:

Application.CommandBars("Status Bar").Visible = False

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

Set the routine in your Normal.dotm file.

HTH

3. :z:

firefytr:

Thanks for the reply! I know this is probably an ignorant question, but how do I save it in my Normal.dotm file? Say, for example, I open Word and there's a blank document automatically loaded into it. I then open Macros and run my command. I exit the Macros window and I am presented with the blank document again (only this time my status bar is gone). Then what? When I save it just saves a .doc file.

Thanks again!

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

5. :z:

firefytr:

Thanks! I should have some time later tonight to sort through all this stuff and hopefully I can figure it out. Will post my results afterwards.

6. :z:

firefytr:

I didn't see where in that link it talked about writing to the Normal.dotm file. I tried over-writing the physical file with a Save As to no avail. I also tried the AutoExec code that the link you gave me mentioned, but couldn't get it to work. Here's what I'm using:

Sub AutoExec()
    End Sub

Also tried this code that it mentioned as well, which did not work either:

Private Sub oApp_DocumentOpen(ByVal Doc As Document)
    End Sub

7. :z:

Update:

I've been able to assign the macro to a button, and then a keyboard shortcut, so I can remove it manually each time more easily, but it would still be nice to figure out how to do it automatically.

The Normal.dotm shows my macros in it (I guess that's how the custom button and keyboard shortcut works each time).

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Did you read the entire article? It tells you that you need to create a Class Module.

Although reading more into the Word 2007 VBA Object Model, it doesn't appear that the status bar is supported anymore, that it is more of a permanent fixture in the application.

9. :z:

firefytr:

I read it, but I didn't understand most of it. :confused:

I'm sorry, I really am a novice at this sort of thing and I just figured there would be code I could copy and paste like what I did for the automatically adjusting the zoom whenever a document was opened. There's a lot that I would need to have explained in that article, and judging from your last post, you don't think getting rid of the status bar on document open is even possible now...?

Thanks for your patience and persistence. :)

10. :z:

I'm sure this is a rather naïve thing to say, but Word doesn't just have an option to just push my custom macro button or execute the shortcut for my custom macro whenever a document is opened? Like a checkbox in the macros menu that says "run on document open"? Thanks again.

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

That is what I read in the help files, and the Status Bar is not even a valid command bar in the 2007 object model. Check it out with this code...

Code:
    Sub ListAllBars()
        Dim s As String, i As Long
        With Application
            For i = 1 To .CommandBars.Count
                If i Mod 2 = 0 Then
                    s = s & .CommandBars(i).Name & vbNewLine
                Else
                    s = s & .CommandBars(i).Name & " | "
                End If
            Next i
        End With
        MsgBox s
    End Sub
    Had too many command bars, so I had to break it up into two per line. You will see Status Bar in there, but what the help file lined out, it is not able to have its visible property set to false. I can get the AutoExec routine to run, but the command bar does not hide.

So to summarize what that website said, create a Class Module in Normal.dotm file, rename the module ThisApplication. Ensure this code is in that module...
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Public WithEvents oApp As Word.Application
    Insert a standard Module, ensure this code is in it...
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Dim oAppClass As New ThisApplication

Public Sub AutoExec()
        Set oAppClass.oApp = Word.Application
    End Sub
    You would then use your line like this (even though it doesn't work)...
    Code:
    oAppClass.oApp.Application.CommandBars("Status Bar").Visible = False
    Make sense?

12. :z:

firefytr:

No, it doesn't make sense, but I'll try to figure it out when I get home tonight. :eek:

But just to clarify, what exactly doesn't work? Is the procedure you outlined a work-around that ultimately achieves what I'm wanting, or are you saying that even your work-around doesn't work (and there's no solution yet)?

13. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I'm saying in Word 2007 I don't think what you're asking can be done. In 2000 - 2003 it can though (through the solution supplied above).

14. :z:

firefytr:

Ah, thanks anyway then. In 2000-2003 it wasn't an issue, though, as there was a toggle in the UI to turn off the status bar for all documents. Why they removed that option is beyond me.

15. :z:

Anyone else know how to remove the status bar in Word 2007 (all of Office, actually)? I don't care how it's done or if it's permanent...I just want the status bar gone. Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice