1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running MS-DOS based application on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coconutwei, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coconutwei

coconutwei Thread Starter

Greeting,

I'm trying to run an application, named Da51, STK, and POS, which are written in MS-DOS based since 20 years ago.

Now here's the thing, I tried to right-click on the .exe file.
    - A box (which suppose to be ms-dos box) pop-up and immediately disappeared.

I execute command.com, I went to that folder, and manually type in the command myself.
    - 1st attempt, nothing happen
    - 2nd attempt, an error message pop up.

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    C:\Windows\system32\command.com
    The NTVDM CPU has encoutered an illegal instruction.
    CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 0e 02 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

p/s: Please take note that, all these applications are RUNNING WELL in Windows 98.

I research online, went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314495. But both doesn't really solve my problem.

I manage to run command.com. However, I'm confused with this part.

Check program-specific issues
    The following functions do not work in Windows XP:
    • All MS-DOS functions except task-switching API (application programming interface) functions are supported.
    • Block mode device drivers are not supported. Block devices are not supported, so MS-DOS I/O control (IOCTL) APIs that deal with block devices and SETDPB functions are not supported.
    • Interrupt 10 function 1A returns 0; all other functions are passed to read-only memory (ROM).
    • Interrupt 13 calls that deal with prohibited disk access are not supported.
    • Interrupt 18 (ROM BASIC) generates a message that says that ROM BASIC is not supported.
    • Interrupt 19 does not restart the computer, but cleanly closes the current virtual DOS machine (VDM).
    • Interrupt 2F, which deals with the DOSKEY program callouts (AX = 4800), is not supported.
    • Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions (MSCDEX) functions 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, E, and F are not supported.
    • The 16-bit Windows subsystem on an x86 computer supports enhanced mode programs; it does not, however, support 16-bit virtual device drivers (VxDs). The subsystem on a non-x86 computer emulates the Intel 40486 instruction set, which lets the computer run Enhanced-mode programs, such as Microsoft Visual Basic, on reduced instruction set computers (RISC).

I have no clue how to check whether the programs applied to the conditions above. So, if it applies to any of them, does that mean I can totally forget about my applications for business? Or go back to Windows 98?

2nd application, I tried to run it. Again, in windows explorer, it shows up something and immediately shut down. I went into command prompt, I type it manually, and this is what I had.

run-time error R6003
    - integer divided by 0

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks and Regards,
    Aik Wei

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If you are really desperate to get these programs up and running again, you might want to look at virtualisation programs like VMWare or Microsoft VirtualPC.

These programs allow you to "build" a virtual computer from within your existing system. What they do is allocate a set amount of drive space and RAM (both of which are user-configured), and then utilise those resources as a separate, functioning PC.

3. coconutwei

Let me try to work with what you just said and see what will happen.

But I don't really understand. Will download those applications makes me able to run my MS-DOS applications again?

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    With either of these programs, you can install Windows 98 (since these programs run fine on Win98) on your existing system without the need to format, partition, or buy another PC. Then you just run the program as normal from within Windows 98.

5. coconutwei

You know what, I tested with the Microsoft Virtual Server. It takes too long and it's way too complicated.

I finally found a solution. http://www.dosbox.com. It straight away bring me to dos-mode, and all applications are running smooth.

Now, all I need to do is to network multiple PCs and test it.

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    No worries. If it works, and it's easy to use, then why not go for it?

I hope the networking part works out as well for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice