Running Operating system from a CD-ROM while dedicatingHD for programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cubasterd

Is it a good idea to use a CD-ROM ran operating system and dedicate your harddrive to programs and video games? Would it make my games run faster since it has an entire harddrive dedicated to it, or will this be extremly slow because the OS is running from a cd-rom?

Thanks.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What operating system do you think is going to run from a cdrom?

I would not run an os from a cd-rom drive as you are right it would be to slow and besides how do you install it to a cd-rom?

Hard drives are cheap these days for rather large ones and Seagate just came out with a new one that is 750 Gb.

cubasterd

I don't know much of what I'm talking about, but my friend installed Barts PE enviroment thing and shes been able to download and play music using nothing but a CD-ROM. Granted, she took out a lot of windows files and only installed the required ones as directed by the website.
I've tested her computer and everything she is able to surf the web, download music, videos, and stream movies online using nothing but Barts PE thing. It runs pretty smooth as well.

I was thinking that, since you have to use your windows XP disk in order to create the boot disk for Barts PE, games and programs that require windows would work as well.

I believe the uptime on a Bart's PE disk is restricted to 12 hours.

I may be wrong, but I've made my own Bart's PE disks, and I seem to recall that limitation.

Barts PE only runs programs/plugins that are loaded on the CD. It is very useful for troubleshooting problems with XP when you can't get XP to boot, or you get BSOD's regularly, etc. You can use it to restore corrupted system files, repair hard disk errors, that sort of thing. It gives you many more options than using only the Repair Console. Here's a link:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
prunejuice said:
I believe the uptime on a Bart's PE disk is restricted to 12 hours.

I may be wrong, but I've made my own Bart's PE disks, and I seem to recall that limitation.
I have no idea where this idea came from, but it's totally false. There is nothing on the disk to restrict the time you run it.

It's also a very impractical method of doing anything like is being discussed. The whole idea of trying to run from a CD-ROM is silly. If you really want to "dedicate a HD to programs", simply install two physical drives on two separate controllers. Instant isolation of the O/S from the programs, and you have the O/S on much faster media too. :rolleyes:

It's been a while since I've dabbled with Bart's but there used to be an uptime limiter.

Now, from their site:

Does PE Builder remove the 24 hour time limit?
Yes, use PE Builder v3.0.33 and higher!

Miss 2 years, miss alot, apparently.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I should have gone farther back in history, didn't look that far back. :D

Yeah, like I said, it's been a while for me and Bart's PE.

Knoppix took me away from my Bart's dabbling, hooked me on Linux, and I've never looked back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online