1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running Operating system from a CD-ROM while dedicatingHD for programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cubasterd, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cubasterd

cubasterd Thread Starter

Is it a good idea to use a CD-ROM ran operating system and dedicate your harddrive to programs and video games? Would it make my games run faster since it has an entire harddrive dedicated to it, or will this be extremly slow because the OS is running from a cd-rom?

Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system do you think is going to run from a cdrom?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would not run an os from a cd-rom drive as you are right it would be to slow and besides how do you install it to a cd-rom?

Hard drives are cheap these days for rather large ones and Seagate just came out with a new one that is 750 Gb.

4. cubasterd

cubasterd Thread Starter

I don't know much of what I'm talking about, but my friend installed Barts PE enviroment thing and shes been able to download and play music using nothing but a CD-ROM. Granted, she took out a lot of windows files and only installed the required ones as directed by the website.
    I've tested her computer and everything she is able to surf the web, download music, videos, and stream movies online using nothing but Barts PE thing. It runs pretty smooth as well.

I was thinking that, since you have to use your windows XP disk in order to create the boot disk for Barts PE, games and programs that require windows would work as well.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

I believe the uptime on a Bart's PE disk is restricted to 12 hours.

I may be wrong, but I've made my own Bart's PE disks, and I seem to recall that limitation.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How does that work? :confused:

7. bbearren

bbearren

Barts PE only runs programs/plugins that are loaded on the CD. It is very useful for troubleshooting problems with XP when you can't get XP to boot, or you get BSOD's regularly, etc. You can use it to restore corrupted system files, repair hard disk errors, that sort of thing. It gives you many more options than using only the Repair Console. Here's a link:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

8. bbearren

bbearren

I haven't noticed any time constraints on mine.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have no idea where this idea came from, but it's totally false. There is nothing on the disk to restrict the time you run it.

It's also a very impractical method of doing anything like is being discussed. The whole idea of trying to run from a CD-ROM is silly. If you really want to "dedicate a HD to programs", simply install two physical drives on two separate controllers. Instant isolation of the O/S from the programs, and you have the O/S on much faster media too. :rolleyes:

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

It's been a while since I've dabbled with Bart's but there used to be an uptime limiter.

Now, from their site:

Does PE Builder remove the 24 hour time limit?
    Yes, use PE Builder v3.0.33 and higher!

Miss 2 years, miss alot, apparently.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I should have gone farther back in history, didn't look that far back. :D

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Yeah, like I said, it's been a while for me and Bart's PE.

Knoppix took me away from my Bart's dabbling, hooked me on Linux, and I've never looked back.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice