running out of hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jsmason00

for some reason there is a file in C:\ _restore\temp that is 11GB
My HD is only 20GB. I tried to delete the temp folder, but it tells me access is denied, file may be in use. This folder keeps gettin bigger and now even with nothing on the HD except sys folders I cant free up more than 2GB. What to do?

When you delete a file in MS dos it doesn't matter what the O/S is.

Just follow the instructions for deleting a file in dos.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Rick, I could be mistaken, but I don't think ME will let you get to Dos as easily as 95 or 98......

The best way is if you have a boot up disk. Start with the start up disk. I've never tried the ms dos prompt but it should work, the problem being that it might still be used by windows.

I would use a start up disk and then delete it that way because windows will not be in use.

There's an easier way than trying to access this file and delete it in DOS.

Simply go to the system properties. then change to the performance tab, and click on the file system button. You can change the amount of space allowed to System restore by moving the slider to the left. I would set it to about 1 Gb if you have a 20 Gb HDD.

This will delete files from the restore folder on the basis of oldest first. I would also reboot to make sure that the change takes effect.

There is one other possibility. You may have a corrupt FAT which is mis-reporting the size of the file. I have had a 1 Mb file reported as 3TB (yes terabytes) on a 6 Gb HDD before, so you may need to run the system restore option to put the system back to where it was before the bad file was created.

Alternatively, if you make a ME boot disk you could run fdisk with the /mbr switch to try to fix the FAT. Not guaranteed and make a proper backup of everything first just in case. better safe than sorry.

jsmason00

When I go to performance\file system, I see the system restore meter, but it is faded and wont let me move it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts