1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

running out of hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jsmason00, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

for some reason there is a file in C:\ _restore\temp that is 11GB
    My HD is only 20GB. I tried to delete the temp folder, but it tells me access is denied, file may be in use. This folder keeps gettin bigger and now even with nothing on the HD except sys folders I cant free up more than 2GB. What to do?

2. flamingtornado

flamingtornado

try running in safe mode. it probably wont be in use then.

3. rkselby98

rkselby98

4. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

I have Win ME I didnt see anything for ME on how to delete this temp file

5. rkselby98

rkselby98

When you delete a file in MS dos it doesn't matter what the O/S is.

Just follow the instructions for deleting a file in dos.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Rick, I could be mistaken, but I don't think ME will let you get to Dos as easily as 95 or 98......

7. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

How do I restart in ms-dos? I have a ms-dos promt can I do it with that?

8. rkselby98

rkselby98

The best way is if you have a boot up disk. Start with the start up disk. I've never tried the ms dos prompt but it should work, the problem being that it might still be used by windows.

I would use a start up disk and then delete it that way because windows will not be in use.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

10. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

There's an easier way than trying to access this file and delete it in DOS.

Simply go to the system properties. then change to the performance tab, and click on the file system button. You can change the amount of space allowed to System restore by moving the slider to the left. I would set it to about 1 Gb if you have a 20 Gb HDD.

This will delete files from the restore folder on the basis of oldest first. I would also reboot to make sure that the change takes effect.

There is one other possibility. You may have a corrupt FAT which is mis-reporting the size of the file. I have had a 1 Mb file reported as 3TB (yes terabytes) on a 6 Gb HDD before, so you may need to run the system restore option to put the system back to where it was before the bad file was created.

Alternatively, if you make a ME boot disk you could run fdisk with the /mbr switch to try to fix the FAT. Not guaranteed and make a proper backup of everything first just in case. better safe than sorry.

11. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

When I go to performance\file system, I see the system restore meter, but it is faded and wont let me move it

12. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

probably just going to sys restore

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice