1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running out of ideas to fix a friend's tower.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by henrystauf, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henrystauf

henrystauf Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am currently trying to fix a friend's tower (compaq s5300nx). I am not even completely sure if this is the right section to post it in, since it could be either a hardware or software problem. The system refuses to boot into any mode of windows xp and won't boot off the xp disc or a linux live disc. I was told it was most likely infected by a virus and I have a feeling it was. I tried a few different methods to try and boot the system as well as methods to try and isolate any hardware problems. I noticed some of the capicators were fried but not sure how bad it is. The hdd might be failing too.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

If you are talking about aluminum electrolytic capacitors where the can tops have split open; that could most definitely cause a boot failure from the HDD or Optical Drive.

3. henrystauf

henrystauf Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. And I was afraid of that. Hmm.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its that bad more than likely the motherboard is shot.You will have to decide if the computer is worth fixing depending on its age. Motherboards can be very expensive to replace. Harddrives are more reasonable to replace.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!