Running out of ideas to fix a friend's tower.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

henrystauf

Hello,
I am currently trying to fix a friend's tower (compaq s5300nx). I am not even completely sure if this is the right section to post it in, since it could be either a hardware or software problem. The system refuses to boot into any mode of windows xp and won't boot off the xp disc or a linux live disc. I was told it was most likely infected by a virus and I have a feeling it was. I tried a few different methods to try and boot the system as well as methods to try and isolate any hardware problems. I noticed some of the capicators were fried but not sure how bad it is. The hdd might be failing too.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi and welcome to TSG.

I noticed some of the capicators were fried but not sure how bad it is.
If you are talking about aluminum electrolytic capacitors where the can tops have split open; that could most definitely cause a boot failure from the HDD or Optical Drive.

SUEOHIO

SUE
If its that bad more than likely the motherboard is shot.You will have to decide if the computer is worth fixing depending on its age. Motherboards can be very expensive to replace. Harddrives are more reasonable to replace.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online