1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running out of space on 32GB laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by OM2, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I tried to upgrade... I had a LOT of space - like maybe 15GB... free... I can't remember exactly.
    It was big.

Upgrade kept on failing saying that 20GB or something was needed.

NOW... I am running out of space!!

I have Dropbox with 2GB allocated - 80% used.
    And have Chrome and Notepad++.
    NOTHING ELSE!!

I tried clearing temp files. Released 1GB or something.
    BUT I'm STILL short of space - I get warning bubbles.

What's happening?

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A 32GB storage device is really small, devices that sell with these should be banned and consumers shouldn't buy them.

You may need to get rid of DropBox, and move off any personal files to get above that 20GB mark.

When running Disk Cleanup be sure to check the box that says "Clean Up System Files" as well then check every item in the list and clean again. Reboot after running it.

You can also try running Patch Cleaner: https://sourceforge.net/projects/patchcleaner/

And then use something like TreeSize to show you any other large folders: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
    Be sure to right click on TreeSize and choose to run it as Administrator to show some hidden folders that may not normally show up.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is this? A Chromebook or something? Details on the machine please!

4. Lanctus

Lanctus

I assume by "upgrade" you mean upgrading to Windows 10? If that is the case, the specs Win 10 needs to run may be what is causing your issue.
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.
    Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS.

If you only had 15 GB free, this would be a big indicator why it's not working. 32 GB once was a lot of data, but these days it is easily passed by beefier machines and more complex apps. If possible, I would recommend getting a better machine. If not, you may need to downgrade your OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice