Running out of space- windows folder too big!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shaz_smach

:rolleyes:

Good morning!
I have a problem that give me headache. my hardisk is running out of space. it's capacity is about 19 GB and i think that enough for my Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 PC. While recking my brain toward the problem, i notice that the Windows foler in C: is too big, about 6.4 GB.! It's that reasonable, it's it? Uninstalling some programs is not my choice as i need all the program for my work. It's something can I do? of course i have done disk cleanup.

my windows folder is 2.55gb

xp pro sp2

open the folder and see what is in there ?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm guessing that maybe your TEMP or SPOOL folders have a lot of junk in them.

awalker0878

Removed by request
do a quick cleanup.

start/my computer/local disk c:/right click/properties/disk clean up/ok

cky

woa my temp fold is not in windows folder what does that mean?

awalker0878

Removed by request
after win98 temp is stored "%userprofile%\locals~1\temp" because restricted user cannot write to the windows directory and therefore applications would have a problem storing temp files

awalker0878

Removed by request
c:\windows\temp del files in there if any. KB9xxxxx are archived files for updates that can be removed you *could* delete those. Also check your log files such as pfirewall.log and see how big that is they can get quite big over time.

Did u rule out the system restore aspect being responsible? Norton protected taking up space?

shaz_smach

no one among the files in temp named KB9**** but instead most of them are NP2****. can i dellete them?

awalker0878

Removed by request
sorry correction updates are stored in $NtUninstallKBxxxxx and like johnWill said check the spool directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since the Windows folder should only take a couple of gigabytes in a typical installation, you need to identify which folder is consuming the space and narrow it down. Just check properties of each folder in Windows until you find a really big one. Then enter the folder and repeat the process for any sub-folders. You might also try something like SpaceMonger to automate the process of looking for the big folder.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online