1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

running processes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gaftop1, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

i'm having a lot of lockup probs while playing call of duty multi. xp2400 gigabyte nforce, 512 corsair,maxtor 80 gig 7200 rpm.
    in task manager processes i'm running almost 120,000k is that normal ? is there a way to post my task manager processes readout?
    my hijack log is clean, running spyware blaster, avast a/v, roboform, zone alarm. and a temp monitor.
    case is clean and all 4 fans are working. heatsink is clean.
    core temp normally runs around 113 f but saw it get up to around 150 once.
    case temp is 82f

2. Dan O

Dan O

Run MSINFO32, which allows you to copy and paste running tasks.

My guess for your problem is you have too many non essential Start-up items running.

You can reduce the load by running MSCONFIG and select the Start-up tab. Uncheck the items you don't need. You can re-check ones you find you needed, so it trial and error process.

3. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

did that only have firewall and a/v running

4. Dan O

Dan O

As a test disable one or both to see what affect it has on your problem.

5. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

disabled everything. zone alarm keeps trying to come back so uninstalled it. only have a/v running now hasn't locked up.
    doesn't almost 100,000k in processes seem a little high. don't remember it ever being that high

6. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

still locking up

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I would put in another 512Mb of RAM and a fixed paging file 2000/2000.

What is the room temperature where the computer is?

8. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

temp is ok. could my router be causing the lockups. the last time i shut down after a lockup my router was going nuts with the flashing lights even with both computers off.
    i'm straigth of the cable modem now and hasn't locked up yet.
    processes are still over 100,000 k is it normal?????????????????????????

9. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

well just got a blue screen error 0x00000012(0x00000001,0x0000400,0x00000000,oxooooo???
    was opying fast because didn't know how long the screen would be up # of 0's may be wrong but numbers are ok.
    whatcha think???????????

10. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

got tired of it. reformatted and reloaded . luckily did a ghost backup a few days before this started 20 minutes later all is well with the world. just absolutely love ghost backups

11. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Making drive image backups should be made compulsory and not doing so should be made illegal, IMHO. :mad:

Ah, music to my ears, Diskeeper Pro is running automatically in the background, and I'll never have to defrag again! :)

12. Dan O

Dan O

I am glad to hear you are back up and working properly. I use drive imaging myself and recommend it all the time.

13. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

ghost is about the same thing just copies your whole c:. reload windows, reload ghost, recover backup, right back to working again. recommend it to everyone. it only takes about 10 minutes to do the backup
    by the way thanx everybody for the help.

14. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

well thought fixed after loading backup. still locking up thought maybe vid card was heating up so changed it. still locked up. ran memtest 86 on it all ok. guess psu is next

15. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

well so far have eliminated memory(memtest 86),power supply (tried another), vid card (tried another), reinstalled call of duty, uninstalled united offensive,
    apparently running processes are ok, temps are ok, only thing left are hdd and cpu. changed virtual memory to 2000 2000 didn't change anything. put it back to 512 768 guess that's ok. anybody have any other thoughts

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice