running scandisk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tatanastar

I am new to PC's and inherited a Gateway desktop with Windows 98. Kept receiving error message at startup about an incorrect longfilename. I have tried to run scandisk but it has been scanning since Sat 2/5/05 and has only gone through 180,000 bits of data from a total of 2.444.532 data bits. At this rate I will not be done scanning untul 2006!
Is there anything i can do?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Restart your computer in "safe mode" and run Scandisk from there.

You should post the exact text of the error message that you're receiving.

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Restart computer,press F8 on keyboard which will take you into safe mode,you can scan disk there,defrag and other maintenance,

Scan disk should only take about a minute to complete. as long as you have it set to just scan files and folders and not the "Disk area". But even the disk scan would only take about twenty minutes or so on a small drive. Scan disk and disk defragmenter both need to work without any programs running in the background or they'll keep restarting, although you said it has been running for four days, did I hear that right? Turn it off it is still running and when you do restart it make sure you set it to scan files and folders only and put a check in the box "Automatically repair errors". O.k. so your computer still boots(starts up) though right? So restart your computer and then once windows has finished loading and settled down press Ctrl Alt Delete kind of at the same time. If it worked you should see a box with your running programs listed and at the bottom of the box will be a button for End Task, Shut down, and I forget the other one but the one you need to concern yourself with is End Task. Now left click to highlight a program and then press End task BUT with the exception of Systray and Explorer. Any other program can be Ended by left clicking to highlight and then End Task. So in the end you should have only to entries:Systray and Explorer. Now, fire up Scan disk again,remebering what I said before to make sure of and see if it works. Like I said, a minute or two at the most is all it should take to complete a files and folders scan. If it still seems after a few minutes like the progress bar is taking forever, give it a few more minutes just to be sure and if it's still not happening come back here and someone can explain how to scan disk in dos mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online