1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

running slow and choppy !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zergpc208, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

We have a computer in the house that is running slow and choppy when playing a game it is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor 2.2 GHz and 2GB DDR RAM .I don't know if it is integrated video or not.I think it has 256 of RAM for video I don't know if it is shared or not.

Maker NVDIA model Ge Force 6100.

Also if I need better video card what should I look for other than 256 or 512 of video RAM? What is a good GPU and what should I look for in a GPU?:eek:

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Apart from games how does it run.?

And What games are they and are they online games?

Have you Defragged lately?

3. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I'm trying the game FEAR and it saying you need 512 MB RAM and P4 1.8 GHz CPU so what is happing?

If I set it to high,maximum it is really slow and choppy even at medium.I think I have DX.90

4. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

No windows works okay it is just this game .I will try other 3D game and see if it does the same thing :eek:

I know the new myst game seems to run okay.

May be this thread should be moved to the game section if this group it looks like a gaming problem.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need a better video card. A Geforce 6100 isn't gonna do well for a game like F.E.AR.

I think hardware is OK for this, but I can move you to Games if you really want it moved.

F.E.A.R.
    The minimum requirements for F.E.A.R. are a joke.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If I remember correctly you also need to lower some of the audio quality settings if you don't have a Creative sound card or that can affect performance as well since the audio effects in this game are very demanding.

If you want something cheap this will do the job: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130075
    Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062
    Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130077
    Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150202

And some benchmarks to see: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/page16.html
    See the 6200 at the bottom. Also the 7600's are close to, but above the 6600GT's in performance, and the 7900 will be above a single 7800 card. Couldn't find any newer benchmark with F.E.A.R. Here's another interactive benchmark, doesn't have F.E.A.R. but has a large range of cards and some newer games.

7. WhiteHat.exe

WhiteHat.exe

Hi, Zerg!

That's an excellent processor, and I wish I could afford another upgrade right now (but I am saving for a whole new rig).

If you are aiming for games like FEAR, Counter-Strike: Source, DoD:Source, or other graphically intense games, I would recommend would recommend (as far as nVidia goes), a GeForce 6800XT. I had 2 XFX 6800XT's in SLi, and I could play any game that I wanted to. CS Source at about 98 fps and up. I assume your processor is 939 pin because it is still in the Athlon category and in the proper series to be so. However, I am not 100% familiar with ATI, so you would have to ask someone else about that company. ATI works well with AMD because, well, AMD owns ATI now.

Other than graphics cards, I would recommend that you reformat your hard disk. This needs to be done Once or Twice anually (depending on how frequently use your computer).

Another solution: Check to see if there are any heating issues, like fans failing on your video card or CPU, or if your computer case is full of dust, clean it out.

After that, something may be eating up a large percentage of your CPU usage. Along with that, I would suspect a virus/malware has infected your computer.

Thats as much as I can come up with as of now. If I think of anything else, I will post another reply.

Hope it helps,

=]

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What?!?!? Why?

9. WhiteHat.exe

WhiteHat.exe

It needs to be done because of the Windows Registry. It erodes after a lot of usage and the only way to repair/refresh it is to reformat. Sucks. Got to back up data and filed on external hard drive, the wipe drive, and reinstall windows. Once you do that, you WILL notice an improvement.

Any knowledgable technician knows that a reformat is necessary at some point.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Twice a year? I think any knowledgeable technician would laugh at that. Do you have any idea how many people never format their systems ans run them for years without issues? Sure, you can build up obsolete and unnecessary entries in the registry over time but if you maintain your system well and format is completely unnecessary and a waste of lots of time. And in some cases its necessary to restore Windows to proper functionality but it is NOT a blanket solution to all problems or to this case.

11. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Well I have seen some Geforce in the 8xxx rage so it looks like the 6xxx range cards are very old.How can I tell if I have integrated video or not?

And some one was saying minimum a Geforce 6200 :eek:

So you are saying what is on the box is not good and I should have this:confused:

Most people only do a fresh install every 5 years and that is if you do many configurations to the registry and system files and where by system files get corrupted or you want more hard-drive space after you install 30 games and software than uninstall it because windows uninstaller does not remove all the entries.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Minimum means that the game will open, which it does - if you want better performance then you need the recommended (or higher) specs. Some manufacturer's update the requirements on their website as the need arises.

Yes, the 6100 series is based on an older design and it is integrated into your motherboard. But you can still add a PCI-Express card.

13. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

So what should I look at other than higher 8xxx to 9xxx card and 256 or 512 of video RAM?

What GPU is good and what speeds should I get. The Ge Force 6xxx cards are old and integrated video does not have a GPU and VRAM ..

Any benchmarks is saying the Ge Force 8xxx cards are very good:eek:

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Geforce 8800's are the only DirectX 10 video cards currently out, they are expensive but indeed they are very good.

If you can't afford one then something like a Geforce 7600, 7800, or 7900 series card will be more affordable.

But its just as much about budget, its how much you have to spend...

15. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Hi Triple6, From WhiteHat said above in the thread, s(he) has never heard of either 'Erunt or Ntregopt' . No need to reinstall WinXP to fix up the registry.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice