1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running Slow and Erratically

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by oldjunk, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    The OS is running very slowly and erratically. Doesn't transfer pics from my picture folder to Facebook, progress wheel moves backward and then forward, takes minutes to refresh, YouTube video is unstable, etc.

I notice info like: "Transferring data from ping.chartbeat.net" running in the bottom progress box when downloading my homepage.

At first I thought it needed a new video card, but now nothing seems stable. Is it the HD?

I can't copy/paste system info. It's an HP and runs Vista Ultimate.

Any help will be welcome.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    What has predated this issue?

Has this been ongoing since you owned the system?

What are the hardware specs of ths system? Or the model/serial number so we can see the kind of hardware you are running?

3. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    This problem has been gradual in occurring and only began about 3 months ago. I've been running this computer for about 15 months. It seemed (?) to start with video card issues. NVIDIA GeForce 365.19 driver installed. I think I hear the card fan engaging loudly, on occasion.

I've always liked this machine but it has had a few intermittent issues I've solved with help from the TSG site. Nothing serious.

Specs are shown below:

HP Pavillion Media Center m8430f PC (2008)
    S/N: MX48100HJJ
    Prod. #: KJ376AA#8A
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6142 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 688 GB (506 GB Free); D: 9 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Benicia
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Please perform the following steps. Let me know how it works with the clean boot?

Speccy
    http://filehippo.com/download_speccy

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
    2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to our servers
    3 Paste the link to your next Reply

From <https://www.piriform.com/support/speccy#204044294

How to perform Clean Boot
    To enter a clean boot state, type msconfig in start search and hit Enter to open the System Configuration Utility. Click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup. Clear the Load Startup Items check box, and ensure that Load System Services and Use Original boot configuration are checked.
    Next, click the Services tab. Select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Now click Disable all.
    Click Apply/OK and restart the computer. This will put Windows into a Clean Boot State.
    If the clean boot helped you fix the error, Great! Else in the General tab, also click to clear the Load System Services check box, click Apply/OK and restart.
    To configure Windows to use the normal startup state, simply undo the changes.
    Best to always create a system restore point first!

From <http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

5. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Also, I didn't mention that the problem keeps taking me offline and makes it difficult to reconnect to WiFi.
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vkI7HMkEUaQUrfl3Fijzne1

6. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Also, I didn't mention that the problem keeps taking me offline and makes it difficult to reconnect to WiFi.
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vkI7HMkEUaQUrfl3Fijzne1

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Did you try the clean boot?

There is no need to quote every reply on every post. Please type your reply in the reply box and click "post reply button"

8. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    The duplicated reply above is an example of one of the problems. It makes me enter and then re-enter information. Then it posts the same information twice. I can't delete the second reply.

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay thanks for letting me know. Please answer my last question.

10. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I'll
    I'll have to do the clean boot tomorrow. I'll get back. Thanks.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion Media Center m8430f Desktop PC (support site)
    This HP model desktop was introduced in February 2008 and sold in the U.S. and Canada and came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
    Yours appears to have its original Intel processor and original 750 GB hard drive and an extra 2 GB of RAM and a different NVIDIA graphic card(with its most current driver - 365.19).
    Considering all the issues you're having with it, I'm wondering if a clean Windows reinstall and fresh start might be your best option.

---------------------------------------------------------------

metallica5456 likes this.
  12. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Hi, Frank:

Yes, you and I have discussed this machine on several occasions. This is the computer I intended to install Win 10 into, but I haven't done it (yet?) Now, though, it may be essential. Still, I'd rather hang-on to this OS for a while longer. I have so many picture files here, I dread thinking about the process of saving and relocating them. I did buy a NOS external HD - the original HD intended to fit into the computer's AUX HD bank.

I know it seems silly, but I'm nuts about Vista Ultimate. Why? Probably 'cause of the Vista Desktop graphic. Stupid? Sure!

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Mike:
    With all the computers you find and post on here, I can't keep track of them anymore.
    I was going to say it's a good candidate for Windows 7, but it should handle Windows 10 okay.
    I'm not a fan of external hard drives and don't use them, so I can't comment on them.
    All of my photos equate to less than 2 GB, so I burn them to a DVD-R, then use that disc as a backup to copy them to my other computers.
    Depending on how often I add or delete photos from the "Pictures" folder, I burn a new updated DVD-R every 1 - 2 months.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I am not so sure of putting Windows 10 on to this machine. It has limited driver support, if any, for Windows 10.

The hardware is 10 years old.

Honestly, I would look into acquiring a bit of a newer machine.

oldjunk likes this.
  15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Andrew, my Dell OptiPlex 780 minitower is several years old and originally came with Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit and later sold refurbished with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    I did a test install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit in it over a year ago, and it installed fine and provided the needed drivers for its graphic and audio and ethernet devices.
    Mike may or may not be as lucky as I was.

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!