1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running Total field

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pulp_, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pulp_

pulp_ Thread Starter

I have a field that is a total. When another field is updated, the total field is subtracted that amount. I want to keep that total in other records. Liek, if the total field hass 100 in it, and I put 5 in another field, the total field will then say 95. When I add a new record, I want that total field to have 95 in it. When I do it now, it is blank. How do I keep that total number for each record added. Thanks for the help!

2. THoey

THoey

It would really help to know what software you are using. Access, Excel, etc.

If you are using Access, I will strongly suggest against doing what you are trying to do. It's called storing a calculated field in a table and I'll explain why it's not suggested. If you have twenty records in your DB and then realize that you entered 5 on the first record when it was supposed to be 10, you have to manually go back and edit all the total fields.

The better idea is to calculate the totals on the fly. Have an "on hand" value store somewhere and subtract the other values.

Let me know if that makes sense...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice