1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved running WHOIS - why would the Dept of Ntl Defense be probbing me?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by MadDogMugsy, Feb 12, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest Thread Starter

Hi all
    ... new to this aspect
    I run Norton Internet Security - I have enabled Access Control Alerts, etc.
    - every day, dozens of times a day, I am alerted to attempted probes & possible trojans & I block every one

Well I decided to try my hand at seeing who is trying to see me and ran WHOIS from iNetCheck .
    The latest was from 214.144.224.144: 29047
    ... so off I went to WHOIS, found that the owner is DoD Network Information Center in Vienna VA
    - off I went to Google and searched on that name - It came up with http://www.nic.mil/
    The Defense Information Systems Agency is a combat support agency responsible for planning, developing, fielding, operating, and supporting command, control, communications, and information systems that serve the needs of the President, Vice President, the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Combatant Commanders, and the other Department of Defense (DoD) Components under all conditions of peace and war

HUH? :confused: Why would this site be pinging away at me?

- what can I do with the information from WHOIS?
    - can I tell folks to leave me alone?

feeling oddly violated
    MDM

2. cnm

cnm

Being pinged won't hurt you. Most people get pinged hundreds of times a day. Just tell your firewall not to answer.

3. MadDogMugsy

yes - I do that already - block it all ...
    yes - I could turn off the alerts, but I want to know why and who - (I want to see what is happening all of the time)

Really - what would prompt a port scan from the Dept of Defence - or from anyone else that is scanning.

I want to know more about this - not just turn it off

cheers
    MDM

4. cnm

cnm

A broadcast, to find out who else is on the net.

5. MadDogMugsy

do you mean that they just ping all machines all over the world?
    hmmm:confused:
    My latest was from 212.199.156 in Israel
    So - are there a gazzilion machines out there just pinging away for stats?

MDM

6. cnm

cnm

7. mtbird

mtbird

There are tons of scans that go on daily. Many are wide spread scans that hit millions of machines, looking for any information that can be gleaned. They are not looking for you in particular. On the other hand, they can be false positives for just as many reasons.
    I'm on a cable connection and have probably had hits from every country in the world. I don't worry about it though.......I have a firewall that I have confidence in.
    Also, understand that the United states is on a high state of alert right now. Most anything could be happening and we need to deal with it.
    If you want to find out about ports and scans, here is a link to information from my firewall company.......

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Intrusions/default.htm

Click on any number and it will give you the particulars about the scan.

Debe

8. MadDogMugsy

thank you cnm & mtbird!
    ... both great responses and great sources of information

I feel much less in the dark now
    best cheers
    Louise
    MDM

9. steamwiz

steamwiz

Let's face it all governments would like to see what is on everybodys computer - if you have a firewall you are reasonably safe - but millions of computer owners don't even know what a firewall is.

steam

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No matter what pings you are getting, just remember they are most likely normal, and your firewall is protecting you anyway.

If it is a hacker, they often spoof Headers/IP info so it looks like the attack is coming from a nonexistent machine, a government, or a big website like Yahoo.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice