1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running Windows on a MAC

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by imnotbasiciswear, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imnotbasiciswear

imnotbasiciswear Thread Starter

I was told I could run Windows programs on my mac, I have a Mac 10.42 and I think it is a Tiger. I am new to macs, and I don't understand much...if anyone has any advice please share...

My main problem is that my younger sister reaally wants to play the Sims2 and we have it for PC, I checked on Aspyr and it said that my mac had all the requirements to play the sims2 on it, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do it.

At one point a long time ago I attempted to restart my mac in windows and I did something when I first turned on my mac to start it in windows. But it asked me something and I wasn't sure what to answer so I just aborted the whole thing.

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

If you have an Intel-based Macintosh you need to get BootCamp from Apple so you can install and run Windows XP on your Mac. You will also need to have a copy of Windows XP that you can install on the partition that BootCamp creates.

If you do not have an Intel-based Mac your only option is to purchase Virtual PC from Microsoft and run Windows in emulation from within the Mac OS. You'll also need a copy of Windows XP to install. If this is the case you can pretty much kiss any kind of game performance goodbye.

Windows cannot, under any circumstances, be used to boot up a non-Intel-based Macintosh computer. Think of Windows like diesel fuel and a non-Intel-based Mac like a gasoline-burning engine. The two do not mix.

The system requirements on the Aspyr page are for the Mac OS version of the game. These do not apply to the Windows version of the game. In order to run the Windows version on a Mac you will need to follow the above steps (and, again, if you're running Windows from Virtual PC you're not going to get any kind of satisfactory performance). The Windows version will not run natively from within the Mac OS.

If this is the case then you must have an Intel-based Mac and you must have BootCamp and Windows XP already installed. Otherwise what was happening was not what it appeared to you to be.

If you do have BootCamp and Windows XP installed on an Intel-based Mac just hold down the option key after starting up and you will be presented with two options for starting up the computer: Mac OS or Windows. Those are the only options, and you will not be asked any questions.

Hope this is of some help to you.

3. imnotbasiciswear

imnotbasiciswear Thread Starter

Thankyou.

I definatly do not have an intel based mac. But I wonder what in the world I did, I don't even remember what I did to make something like that come up. So even if I were to get Virtual PC I still couldn't play the sims2 on here?

Something wierd happened though, I restared my mac, and when it came back on the first thing I saw was a tiny picture of a globe in the center of my screen. Then it switched to a picture of the mac symbol (i think it is, im not sure) the one of the little computer with the smiley face on it. And it kept changing between that and a file with a question mark on it. I freaked out and didnt know what was happening, and started hitting random keys on the keyboard. Then it went back to the normal start up screen. I don't know if it just changed because or if i hit something.

Also does anyone know of what virus protection thing I should get?? A free one would be nice seeing as I really don't have any money at the moment.

4. VegasACF

VegasACF

It would probably start up, but the performance would be so pitiful that it would be far more frustrating than it would be fun.

Sounds like the computer was searching for a valid System Folder from which to boot. This often happens if you do not have a disk selected in the Startup Disk pane in the System Preferences. If nothing is selected the computer searches every available buss for a valid drive before opting for one.

I would probably go with Virex, by McAfee. You can find more general information on the topic here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice