1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Running XP on a P3-450?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ultimax, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of installing WinXP Pro on a PIII-450. It currently has 64mb of RAM, but I'm thinking of bumping that up to at least 256, or maybe even 300+.

I came across a page on the web which discussed WinXP minimum requirements, and there were people who running winXP on PIIIs etc. who said they have no problems. I can't remember what their exact specs were, but I do know they had a lot of RAM. At least 256mb.

So, is WinXP processor or memory dependent? And more specifically, will installing WiNXP on a PIII-450 with 256mb RAM be worth my time and money? I'm currently running Win98.

THanks!

2. JayT

JayT

You can do it, but even with 256 Mb of RAM it will probably be very slow. I had an old Dell XPS 450, and I put a copy of XP on it. It would run, but not very well. Also, you didn't say what the size of your hard drive is. XP takes a lot of space on HD. Actually, your best bet is to upgrade your computer by buying a PIV if you can afford it.

3. Deathblow

Deathblow

I have a pIII-800 with 128 Megs of ram, and XP is very sluggish on that. I would suggest either 98se or a hardware upgrade.

4. zmaster

zmaster

i've got a p3 1ghz with 396mb ram and a 80gig hd. Xp runs very smoothly on it, way better then windows 2000 ever did. everything is quicker. but then again your probably better off upgrading your entire system then putting xp on that. You should be able to get a very nice system for under a $800 easy

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have a system here (Celeron 600 MHz) with 256 MB RAM. It runs XP quite respectably.

6. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

I have XP running on a p3 500 and 600mhz. It runs ok... Once you turn off all the unnessecary services. (including the "XP theme")
    Although, these computers have 384mb and ~512mb or ram.

If the additional ram is free, I'd go ahead and and try the upgrade. I recomend doing a format/reinstall instead of an "upgrade".

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!