1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

runtime error 5

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Amy March, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amy March

Amy March Thread Starter

Hi - came across a runtime error '5' while trying to install a program onto my secondary system - running xp. I've tried downloading these error programs that scan the system for registry problems but none of them will fix the problems. Do you know of one that i can download for free that fixes these errors also? The system i'm having a problem with is not hooked up to the internet, so i'm downloading everything to this system and copying to portable disk and installing on my other system. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Amy,

It would be most helpful if you would state what program you are trying to install that gets the runtime error 5!

Also, which version of XP, home or pro, and which service pack s1 or s2? Is it fully updated with MS Windows security updates - i.e. from its offline status, its never too safe to assume that it maynot become infected with what gets installed otherwise.

-- Tom

3. Amy March

Amy March Thread Starter

ok, running xp home, sp2 and no updates have been done since this system is only used for researching problems (nothing new has been installed into this system since it was originally set up until now). I'm trying to install a honeywell consumer products program. I have it installed in this system with no problems - received the original install directly from the manufacturer, but stopped working shortly after being installed in other system.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Amy,

Does Honeywell state any requirements for installing the program from whereever you downloaded it from? Any documentation of the error 5 from Honeywell which is non-existent can be assumed to be a difference between perhaps in what is installed library-wise between your two systems - just a hunch.

An audit would help to know the differences. Honeywell's program probably depends on something that is not installed on your system, which may be generating the error 5.

-- Tom

5. Amy March

Amy March Thread Starter

thank you for responding - i will contact them directly to see if they can reinstall the program directly from the original disk. Once it's reinstalled, will the error go away or continue to cause problems?

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Amy,

I wasn't aware that Honeywell would do the installation on your computer as I assumed that was something you would do, of course, with the original disk.

Reinstallation does not always solve problems like this, so I do not know if it will go away or continue - as I mentioned, there may be a dependency on either services installed on your machine or libraries that are perhaps not started (in the case of services) or not installed as in the case of libraries.

One thing that brings to mind is that on your computer without the errors, bring up the services window by Start->Run->services.msc->Ok. List all of the services that are started up. Now go over to the computer with the runtime error 5 and check if all of the same services are started up and running. Start up any that is not running which is in the list of started up services on the computer without the problem. Then attempt to reinstall the software. If the problem was actually caused by a service the program depended upon that was not up and running - then the program should reinstall without problems and the problem should go away. If, on the other hand, the problem was not caused by a service not running, i.e. perhaps a missing library (dll), then the dependency problem will still exist as will the problem.

-- Tom

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice