1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Runtime Error Message &ODBC installer message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chanaadair, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chanaadair

chanaadair Thread Starter

My neighbors elderly mother bought a gateway computer with O/S windows 98. She asked me to clean it up and I am getting the following two messages. The first error message comes upon tryin to install Antivira Antivirus program, the second error message comes whenever you click on the control panel. Any help on how to correct these problems are greatly appreciated.

FIRST ERROR MESSAGE

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program:C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\RARSFX1\BASIC\SETUP.EXE

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK

SECOND ERROR MESSAGE

ODBC Installer

The ODBC resource DLL (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ODBCINT.DLL) is a different version than the ODBC setup dll (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ODBCCP32.DLL)

You need to re-install the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.

Press OK to proceed, CANCEL to abort.

OK CANCEL

Is the Antivira antivirus program compatiable with Windows 98. That thought just hit me as I was typing. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your time and help.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Why not just format it and install 98 clean.

3. chanaadair

To be honest with you......the first thing(lol) I had not even given that a clue, the second thing is there is none, absolutely no disks of any sort for the computer and I don't have windows 98 on my computer I am running my favorite O/S windows XP. With the repairs on my house and still dealing with insurance and the aftermaths of Ike hitting us my mind hasn't exactly been functioning on regular mode, more like half of auto pilot mode. I can't remember either at current time if there is a way to re format or format the stupid thing without the disks. Seems like I remember there being a way from when I had a gateway computer.

It's running

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222 A

Gateway, Inc.
    GeniuneIntel
    Pentium(r) III Processor
    320.0 MB RAM

file system is 32 bit
    virtual memory 32 bit

system resources says 88% free

doesn't have disk compression nor PC Cards(PCMCIA) installed.

That's the basics of it.......if anyone knows how to do the format without the discs and can remind me I'd appreciate it. I swear it seems like I had Gateway walk me t hrough it several times(when I was younger lol). Anyways, thanks again.

4. ~Candy~

She should have asked for the disks that came with it. At some point, she's going to need the 98 disk. I don't think the older Gateways had any method of creating a restore cd.

5. chanaadair

I think I'm just going to tell her to buy windows xp and some extra memory and just do it that way, maybe it's best?

6. ~Candy~

Without knowing what processor is in it, that may not be a viable option.

7. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

As of 31 August 2008 these all still worked with 98SE. (From MSFN.org forums)

Avira ver 7.06.00.268
    AVGFree ver 7.5
    Avast! ver4.7.1043

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice